Author Topic: glass tunnel cloches  (Read 12545 times)

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
glass tunnel cloches
« on: March 21, 2006, 08:15:11 »
Having just totally wasted 7 quid that I couldn't afford on two Lidl plastic tunnel cloches that are the biggest load of.......er..................wotsit.........you could imagine (I didn't even bother putting the second one together) and being turned green with jealousy by some of the plots I walk past, where they have lovely long lengths of glass cloches, I wondered if anybody can point me to some at a reasonable price ?

I can't even seem to find any at all, at any price.................
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: glass tunnel cloches
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:30:09 »
Normally you would just buy the clips from a garden centre and get the glass separately from a glazier.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 11:31:04 by MikeB »

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:01:52 »
Chooks, if you do as MikeB says, be sure to tell the glazier you want greenhouse glass. It's about half the price of the normal stuff.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 11:42:21 »
Normally you would just buy the clips from a garden centre and get the glass separately from a glazier.

Thanks for your replies.

Presumably these make an inverted V shape cloche do they ?

The ones I have seen on the lotty have straight sides of glass, with two pieces making a pitched roof. They are all held together by a wire framework.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:49:53 »

Thats right,

the ones I have seen on the lotty have straight sides of glass, with two pieces making a pitched roof. They are all held together by a wire framework.

The inverted ' V ' is more stable, but its main area of height is in the middle, So...

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:30:02 »

Thanks for your replies.

The ones I have seen on the lotty have straight sides of glass, with two pieces making a pitched roof. They are all held together by a wire framework.

you want the barn cloche clips see http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/CLC.htm for details

spindoctor

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 20:51:46 »
The ones you are looking for are "chase barn cloches. I bought 20 sets of wires at the end of 2004 and they are well worth the money but hard to find, I was looking for years. If you want the details + photos or any other info my email is midcalf@blueyonder.co.uk.

dave

• Not So New ...
  • born-again peasant
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 22:07:10 »
Advertised 2nd down on left, top of page 86 May Kitchen Garden magazine

dave

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 22:45:14 »
If it's any help, my carrots are up already underneath a homemade corrugated plastic cloche.  UV stable plastic costs a fiver from Wickes, held in shape (half circle) by wire loop, and pegged down. Bits of old flat plastic on the ends. 66cm wide x 1.8m long (so height is 21cm). The 2.4m long pieces are even cheaper pro rata - £5.95 each.  Works well.  Pretty good value, and if it gets blown off or trodden on you don't end up with shards of glass everywhere.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 13:47:21 »

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

Just got 7 cloches for 15 quid off one of the old boys on the lotty - problem solved !

You can see it here next to one of the pieces of Lidl c**p   :o

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 02:45:09 »
Now we're all envious. Just like Harry Dodson's on the Victorian Kitchen Garden tapes.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 07:44:13 »
I never really thought about it yesterday, but they will be so much more useful than a tunnel cloche anyway, as they can be used individually over single plants such as squashes when I first plant them out. I'm delighted  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal