Author Topic: Kitchen gadgets  (Read 13961 times)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
Re: Kitchen gadgets
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 21:56:40 »
pete does the cooking
the best sort of gadget! ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 21:58:41 »
He's quite a tidy gadget and vintage too! :P

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2006, 08:57:38 »
Handblender! Broke the bowl attachment gadget, and really miss it for chopping up small quantities of onions and the like :-[
Marjrie, dont know if these are the cheapest but think this is what I would go for next time, and, they seem to last years!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000178TWI/qid=1143190338/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/026-2188187-4710808

Another gadget I couldn't be without that I forgot, well if it can be called a gadget, is my dishwasher, the house we are possibly moving to doesn't have one, and we are leaving ours here! :'(

Oh and my file like graters, Tim, what are those things called?? :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2006, 12:05:46 »
Microplane? But in many cases too fine for the job - like cheese (apart from Parmesan) - it goes to cotton wool?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 15:37:40 by tim »

scumpy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2006, 12:56:51 »
The gadget we could not do without is a slicing device like a mincer but used for slicing runner beans, ours was in herited from my gran many years ago, still not found a modern device that works as well.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2006, 13:23:50 »
Thats it Tim, thank You, got one for parmesan, and a bigger chap for cheddar type cheese, which works well.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2006, 17:08:42 »
I have loads: Kenwood Chef (heavily involved in producing Xmas cake and mincemeat), Food processor (soups and gratins) breadmaker (bread surprisingly enough!) a jelly pan for jam and a jam funnel and cooking thermometer, mandolin (for when I can't be bothered with the food processor), a whole variety of graters (see previous item) knives a-plenty, microwave (20 years old so should probably be replaced)dishwasher ( I'd rather be without a washing machine than a dishwasher now - everything handwashed seems so dirty by comparison), salad drier ( helps it to keep much longer in the fridge once washed) zester (as recommended by Delia) and many more.

I got rid of the yoghurt maker (not enough time) and the toastie maker ( a present that never got used)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2006, 17:26:02 »
The gadget we could not do without is a slicing device like a mincer but used for slicing runner beans, ours was in herited from my gran many years ago, still not found a modern device that works as well.

Sounds identical to one my 80+yr old friend has - which I covet. If I ever saw one I'd surely buy it.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2006, 22:14:11 »

Sounds identical to one my 80+yr old friend has - which I covet. If I ever saw one I'd surely buy it.

AND sounds like the one my Gran had, she said she bought it at the Ideal Home Exhibition.  I sadly did not inherit hers and have never seen another one like - but clearly they do still exist.  probably all purchased at the same stall at IH  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 07:51:55 »
I just wondered if this Bean Slicer is any good?  I am sure it is not as good as all your Grandparents' but I looked at it last year and plan to grow a lot more beans this year, so anybody used it?

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!3409

I have had the Lakeland apple corer/peeler/slicer for years as I have lots of apple trees so find it really useful although it wastes some I get a lot more apples in the freezer that way.  Usually do it as a production line though as it is fiddly to wash and makes lots of mess in the kitchen!

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!3303

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2006, 18:33:11 »
Corkscrew,

bottle opener.

After that it's only knives that I use regularly, I find it's quicker to use a knife than clean a processor -I do have a chinese chopper though ;D

The Braun wizzy thing is good for smotthies, I'd use it more if Mrs D. didn't insist on it being kept out of site..

The Bread Maker is earning its keep.

The dishwasher -the other half insisted and I'm glad she did. Mind you she has an urge to dry stuff when it comes out, and clean it again -so far as I'm concerned it's clean and dry by definition -and I'm not going to let reality get in the way.

BTW we live in an unreconstructed '60s house, so when we moved in I bought a '60s oven and we've now inherited a 60s Kenwood -is oil supposed to come out? Should it smell of ozone?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2006, 19:59:19 »
Ours did! Eventually. I got it for doing an RAF thing for a magazine - not allowed money so got the thing. £25 at the time.

Within 6 months, it fell off the trolley onto No2 son's head. Kept going for another 40 years!!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2006, 20:21:58 »
Mine smells of ozone and oil leaks out. Some of its most endearing features. ;)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2006, 21:52:43 »
1)  Cake stand ... have quite a collection and love them, but boy do they take up a lot of room.

2)  Toaster & kettle are most used gadgets, but electric whisks and food processors are things I wouldn't want to be without.

3)  pasta machine - unopened and in original packaging !  Will not part with it, because any day now I'm going to make my own pasta ... have had it for 6 years :o ...

Most wanted gadget:  working cooker  >:( waiting for plumber to come and move the stupid gas pipe that I've just had connected to the hob ... have had no cooker since October !!!!!  still the rest of kitchen is taking shape finally ...

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2006, 12:00:18 »
Can you use the wizzy thing for mashing potatoes?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2006, 12:25:07 »
Well, you could, and it might be worth a go just to see this happen. When potatoes are whizzed fast by machine, their starch is broken and reforms into long gluey strands, so you get glue mash :o!

Alas (or hooray if you're into kitchen therapy) the fluffy stage can only be achieved in a very slow mixer, or BY HAND ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:27:40 by supersprout »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2006, 15:42:47 »
Supersprout, you have reminded me of another "can't be without" gadget, my potato ricer, makes "the best" mashed potatoes! ;D  (cos we likes ours lump free!)
http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!6532

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2006, 16:45:02 »
I once did some potatoes in our food processor to mash them,  ::) big mistake as you said SS they turned into one big mush of starch.  We had a Japanese teacher staying with us at the time, and he must  have got a horrible impression of mashed potatoes, English style.  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2006, 16:59:25 »
Within 6 months, it fell off the trolley onto No2 son's head. Kept going for another 40 years

well...lets hope tims no 2  son manages a few more years..oooooooh...i see-the gadget managed another 40 years...silly kitty..... ::)
my tatie masher comes with a beard and a strong right arm...he also makes a lovely chocolate cake! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2006, 18:18:40 »
I've got an old mouli with 3 different sized holes - one of my much-used, much-travelled things. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal