Author Topic: Kitchen gadgets  (Read 13962 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Kitchen gadgets
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 12:42:00 »
1.  Loads - coffee machine, food processor, electric and assorted balloon whisks, liquidisers - stick and jug, assorted graters from nutmeg to cheese........
2. Ice cream machine with a bowl that has to go in the freezer - used more in summer for excess fruit and my pasta machine with electric motor which is waiting for the unit it lives on to be renovated and a juicer which comes out when fresh celery and carrots are plentiful and have some taste.
3. Was given a burger shaper thingy - useless.  Also have an electric chip pan/deep fat fryer in need of a good home.  And I was given a "designer" dooberry for stripping lemon zest in twirls for drinks.  Never been used.   I've given away my sausage making kit since we moved to Belgium as they are made with real meat and optional herbs and spices here and I no longer need it.
Obxx - Vendée France

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 13:16:33 »
Geoff - just LOVE that fork!

Lishka - a sharpener like Geoff's. Actually, for honing, I always use the Chantry.

And yes to the whizzer - with it's mini -chopper. Just did the cottage pie meat in it.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 14:19:43 »
1. pop corn maker
2. OH
3. OH

;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 14:21:52 »
:o ;D ;D ;D Heldi

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 19:32:31 »
Tim, there's a knife to go with it but it's, shall we say, troublesome to keep clean.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 12:09:26 »
1. Which kitchen gadgets do you have and wouldn't be without?

Beloved and much hinted for wedding pressie from Mum: Kenwood Major .  Grew up with my mother's and a KitchenAid just sounded "wrong" as well as being a fraction of the horsepower and twice the price.
Food processor, had it for 10 years, nearly burnt out the motor on cookie dough and it's still kicking. Puts up with all sorts of abusive practices.
Bread machine (wedding pressie - god, what a useful occasion! Hee! ;D) - use it weekly.
Spiky carving tray thing that OH brought to the marital home - marvelous!
Knives, inherited from Mother. Carbon steel sabatier. Yum!

Oh, and lest I forget the be-all-and-end-all of our kitchen life (we cook ALOT): Rangemaster range cooker, 1200mm wide, 2 electric ovens (1 fan 1 fan/convection), grill, 6 gas burners including 2 bigguns for the wok cradle, griddle pan and tray drawer which can apprently be used for proving bread by those with wnough room in their kitchen to store their pans/etc elsewhere!  We moved in and had 6 weeks with no method of cooking than a microwave/kettle/disposable bbq's. I love that machine more than I do the Kenwood. OH & I can cook side by side (awww!)  The best bit: about £1k less than street value by buying online with the co-op. Marvelous. Can't recommend them enough.

2. Which kitchen gadgets do you have and have to keep for that once-a-year or so essential use?

25 year old Toastie maker inherited from my mother when I went to college and haven't given it back yet...
Salad spinner, only useful in summer with the cut'n'come-again
Ice cream maker (we always have arguments, that gadget & I, but the lure is strong...)
Deep fat fryer

3.Which kitchen gadgets do you have which are at the back of the cupboard after using just once?

Bloomin' waste of time julienne grater thingy!  Shredded my fingers along with the carrots and if those strips of carrot are julienned then my ...  Can't bring myself to throw it out as it's still use-able! Sad eh?

4. Most desired gadget?
Waste disposal unit
Mandoline
Cleaning lady

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:53 »
HI Bennetsleg - I have one of those range cookers too but with 5 gas burners and an electric warming plate on top.  never use a wok so didn't go for that option.  It's wonderful and so much better than the previous Rosières thing "designed" by Paul Bocuse.   He needs to stick to cooking.

I too would love a cleaner and have no use for a julienne thingy since stripping my finger and none either for a bread machine.  We have an excellent baker up the road with a "death by chocolate" range of pains au chocolat and serious wholegrain breads and when I do make bread myself it's 'cos  I need a good knead.
Obxx - Vendée France

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 13:46:20 »
I've got a cleaner 8)...

ner ner ner ner ner

So while I'm out doing the jobs peeps with gardens hate (weeding!)..Jilly's here doing the one I loathe - cleaning. (and still think that Dan should set the swear filter to blank out that word) ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 13:48:49 by Alishka_Maxwell »

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 13:54:45 »
I've got a cleaner 8)...

ner ner ner ner ner

So while I'm out doing the jobs peeps with gardens hate (weeding!)..Jilly's here doing the one I loathe - cleaning. (and still think that Dan should set the swear filter to blank out that word) ;D

One can go off people...   ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 14:36:08 »
P.S. my choices can be rearranged on any given day and at any given time.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 15:02:37 »
Hi Lishka - I've had cleaners but they've all had eccentric problems include a mad newly-converted-to-Buddhism-ex-husband who found another little buddhist he preferred so followed his wife around with a shotgun to frighten her away.  That was scary.    Another did not appreciate the value of some pieces of Venetian glass she put on the floor while she cleaned the window-sill and then stepped back and squished the lot.   She was from Burundi and didn't understand about pale Belgian oak either and tried to clean it with some teak stain.   The last was called Fatima - which I only mention because she was over 20 stone when she started but gradually faded away as the result of having her stomach clamped.   The slimmer she got the more unreliable she became. 

Kind of reluctant to get another but I would so much rather be gardening or doing almost anything else I might just have to try again, just for the downstairs.
Obxx - Vendée France

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 15:03:10 »
Can I ask what the stick whizzer thingy is, and where can I get one please?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 15:10:15 »
Quote from: Obbelix link=topic=17914.msg185177#msg185177 date=1143117833

and when I do make bread myself it's 'cos  I need a good knead.
[/quote

;D ;D ;D I have days like that too - well said! ;D ;D ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 16:11:10 »
I have 2 things I couldn't be without: -

A Tala Cook's Measure, see link

http://www.cooknkitchen.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=p24.html

which my daughter has said she will take to uni as she too can't live without it, but bought her one today in Robert Dyas, real coincidence!  It is definitely my most used item as I very rarely get my scales out, just use the cone for everything, a wedding present 27 years ago.

Also my food processor, I make all sorts of things in it and particularly like blending soup in it as my boys eat things they don't know are there, and OH come to think of it!

I have a Spong Coffee Grinder in the cupboard but only because the tiles are not yet grouted, then it will be back on the wall and in use, it is wonderful for grinding coffee and spices.  Ok that's three things!

I gave my deep fat frier away 15 years ago but do have a yearning to make home made chips just once, my kids have never tasted them!

The thing I have and have never used is a set of shells for fish au gratin starters that I bought years ago but can't bring myself to eat off them.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 18:37:12 »
marjrie - like this??

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 20:09:45 »
hey!thats our billy blender-brilliant!wouldnt be without him for soups and apple sauce!
(ours is orange and yellow tho!)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 21:19:00 »
moulinex do the whizzy stick things. B****d if I can remember what they call them :-[

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 21:48:51 »
bah!
cant remember either-but i just looked-billy blender(yes,that really IS the name it was marketed under!!)is a 'phillips'-had it about 5 years-use it constantly ....
the other things i wouldn't be without is my tala measure(like tulippas and ...not sure if this is a gadget-spose it is-a sort of wire net spoon for lifting out boiled eggs!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 21:53:15 »
Ha ha I don't use kitchen gadgets! pete does the cooking! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare