Author Topic: Hi Newbie to the site  (Read 4237 times)

mamaswifty

Hi Newbie to the site
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:41:13 »
Hello everyone,very new to gardening but am very excited at the prospect of getting my hands dirty and repping the rewards.I am sharing a plot with afriend to see how I cope with it.My plan was to take on a plot next year as I am having major building works on my house starting June so thought that I should get that out of the way first then I can concentrate on the allotment.
As I have no experience in gardening but bucket loads of enthusiasm I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on where to start.
As Spring is almost on us and the plot needs a lot of clearing would I be best off just clearing the site and preparing the ground for next year or should I consider clearing a small space and get planting ?
I have 3 children who are all very keen to help out and my partner is all geared up to do a spot of digging.I am thinking about buying shares in Quaker Oats and Raddox as I'm sure both will be used in vast quantities,LOL. ;)
I hope that I am posting in the right place,please feel free to move me to the right forum if not.
I look forward to reading any advice and tips that anybody might have.
Thank you for your time.  :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Hi Newbie to the site
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:50:42 »
;D

Hello and welcome!! It's very exciting to get a new plot isn't it?!!
If you look at the bits at the top of your screen you will see one called wiki..in there is lots of info that you will find useful, including a bit on how to make a start.

Also the search facility is very useful, just type in the topic you want to know about and a load of previous posts on that subject will appear...magic!! Dont worry about asking stupid questions, I have asked most of them already!! Hope you enjoy the site!!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:52:21 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

mamaswifty

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 13:15:07 »
Thanks for the reply I shall have a look at 'wiki' now. :)
And 'Green Wizard' thank you for the lovely welcome  :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 13:31:13 »
Hi mamaswifty,

Welcome and all the best

emma h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 14:42:58 »
I would definitely do some growing this year. You will find lots of info if you search but you can jut clear a bit at a time, having something to grow will help keep you motivated and keep the weeds down. One thing I am learning fast is that you don't have to be perfect. A lot of the stuff I've just bunged in seems to be doing fine.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 16:21:58 »
Nice to hear from you Mamaswitfty

Try the 'methods of cultivation' pages from the Wiki for ideas on starting off a new plot.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 19:03:42 »
Hi and welcome.

I took on a new plot last year in June and i love it!  I cleared a bit then planted something, cleared a bit then planted etc.  I've  grown runner beans, chives, lettuces, winter cabbages, beetroot, parsley, coriander and i have spring cabbage and spring broccoli in.  So it is possible to grow plenty in your first year.

It does seem daunting at first when you take on a new plot and you feel everyone is looking at what you are doing...but i don't think they are.  Everyone gives different advice...but you find your own way and do things in your own time...Rome wasn't built in a day and your plot won't be perfect in a season!

My children love the allotment.  Where else in the city can they get so close to nature....we have bbq's and picnics too in the summer.....i could go on for hours!

Happy gardening!
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 19:26:37 »
HI mamaswifty

i am also new to gardening - my plot is a mess . hoping to mark out my beds this week  and cover up the ones i cant do.

i have just planted some tomatoe seeds - left them in my front sitting room window (i am turning into a tramp - my clutter free living has gone )

i'm looking in skips  :o

but hey im loving it ...

p.s. didnt have a sprinkler on watering can - so i used a plastic cup with a food bag over  - held on with elastic bands and popped  some holes with a tooth pick  ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 19:28:44 by cowellen »

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 20:05:04 »
Hello fellow newbie. I have just acquired a plot that hasn't been used in five years. Its a little overgrown and I am now very acquainted with the growing habits of brambles.

Lots of great advice on here, I have been frantically trying to absorb as much info as possible, whilst listening to my fellow plot holders who keep telling me to take it a bit at a time.
Have started to look at every item in the attic , cupboard under the stairs with new eyes. Mmmmmm I wonder what this could be used for....etc. I knew my kleptomania would pay off one day.

Can't wait for the day when I will be able to offer some advice to someone else, thats a little way off just yet, but very much enjoying the whole getting muddy thing so far.

All the very best, Mouseski :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 16:37:44 »
The wiki also has a section called 'making things out of other things' which you may find useful
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 19:49:13 »
One thing you can do when it finally warms up is to lay down black plastic, slit holes, and plant potatoes through them. They'll grow merrily while the plastic kills most of the weeds at the same time. Then you dig the survivors out as you lift the spuds.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 21:55:41 »
Welcome to the forum mamaswifty and mouseski :)
Following on from Robert, a few people with new plots to tame got involved in this thread about using black plastic:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,17850.msg184024#msg184024
Happy lottying! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 21:46:50 by supersprout »

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 22:15:48 »
I'm very new too.  Just got the use of part of an allotment, and am currently chitting and germinating as fast as my dining table and conservatory windowsill will let me (while trying to keep within the bounds of common sense and not being too impatient to start things off).  ;)

And my OH is already getting fed up of my gardening "recycling".  All the plastic containers I can't put in the recycling collection (our council doesn't do plastic yet) and used to bin, are now being washed out and kept for seed trays/propagators/cloches and "I don't know yet what I can do with that, but I bet it'll come in handy for something".  :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 22:17:26 by DenBee »
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 22:46:15 »
Welcome Mamaswifty, and everyone else who is new here, good gardening. ;D ;D

mamaswifty

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 13:18:34 »
An update on my plot,it's fantastic.The only work that is needed is tidying up.The chap that had the plot before us had it for 50 years !We have 2 apple trees,8 fruit bushies.a strawberry patch that is 6ft by3ft.The bean sticks are in place and take up about 10ft of space.We also have a glass house that the chap made out of windows and doors ,2 sheds one of which is going to be coming down as it's to far gone to repair and the other has a really solid roof on it but needs a little bit of TLC.
I am so pleased I can't tell you.The kids and I have been going up to the plot after school and they are loving it.I'm so Lucky as I thought that I would have a heck of a lot of work to do clearing etc... but I don't,how lucky am I.
We have taken photo's but I'm a bit useless with techie stuff so when my other half is home from work I shall have him to sort out a link.
Heres to many hours of happy gardening  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 15:25:35 »
 ::) Umm....hello. I'm also a Newbie (today!). I have just got hold of my allotment key yesterday after 3 months of hassle with the Council (after 3 years on a waiting list).  My plot is small - 125 sq ft as it is half a standard plot....but I'm starting small with big plans....

I checked it out first so I know it gets good light (south facing) with good shelter from high winds, neutral soil pH and is only 2 minutes by foot from my front door!

It has three trees in it (apple) two in one corner where I am planning to get my compost heap going, and one neighbouring onto the other half-plot.

I am planning red onion, spring onion, potatoe, kale, celery, sweetcorn, carrot, chive, shallot, garlic, broccoli - probably in an 'intercrop' system.  I have divided my plot into 4 main beds, allowing three small beds for garlic/chive/herbs.

The plot is intended for personal veg use & also 'food for the 4 guinea pigs' (who will contribute to the compost bin every time their hutches are cleaned out.)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 15:52:08 »
Hi PF51 welcome and all the best

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:02 »
my gardening "recycling".  All the plastic containers... are now being washed out and kept for seed trays/propagators/cloches and "I don't know yet what I can do with that, but I bet it'll come in handy for something".  :D

Me too!
I'm very new as well. Reading a lot and learning. I don't have an allotment yet but am experimenting with container gardening on my 9th floor balcony in Stockholm. It all started when I bought a mini fruit tree and some basil in the store (the mini pots you use and are suppose to throw away) and planted it. That small pot has now filled four and packets of seed in a 10 for £2.50 sale.

Now I've started have seedlings or very small plants of chives, dill, leeks, oregano, parsley, thyme and tomatoes. Just a few of each.

I have raided my local recycling room and come up with a growing box (one with two layers and PVC pipe going down) and numerous pots and even a couple of bags of new soil.

I am looking into an allotment for next year. Best of luck to your new allotments! I'm looking forward to learning even more!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 19:00:32 »
WELCOME TO ALL RECENT NEW MEMBERS.  
DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED SO MANY!!!!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal