Author Topic: Is this normal ?  (Read 3660 times)

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Is this normal ?
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:09:16 »
I have recently noticed that my hens are pecking at rach other pulling out feathers especialy around the neck 3 out of my 6 seem to be more featherless around their necks that the others.
Is this just a new pecking order being established or would this be caursed by some kind of mite. Other than this they seem healthy and are I am getting at least 5 eggs a day.

Any help and advise welcome.

Many thanks

Alan :)
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Is this normal ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:18:48 »
Have you introduced any new birds recently?

It can also be a sign of boredom, do they free range. If not can you hang some greenstuff in the run for them to peck at. I have also seen people hang a couple of CD's in the run and they are facintated by them.

I dont think any pest will cause feather pecking but it is worth checking for red mite in the evening.

At this time of year it is also give them some poultry spice as a pep me up.

Best to stop the pecking ASAP before they start to harm each other though, as soon as one starts to bleed they can be merciless and gang up on her.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:26:07 »
hair spray on the bird that is being pecked apparently stops the habit.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:43 »
We have problems with hens pecking each others backs, they can look a bit messy. It's definitely down to boredom.

Give them as much room as possible, put things of interest in the run such as sticks and mirrors(CDs) and create different levels for them to stand on. If you don't have problems with rats scatter food amongst the straw so they have to work for it. Have more than one water tray so they don't peck each other while drinking.

We have tried the proper non peck sprays but these only work for a small amount of time.

If you find anything works other than debeaking let us know

Ian

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:56:23 »
;D

HAIRSPRAY??????? Have a pic in my head of a hen checking herself out in a mirror and admiring!!!!!!

Lol

;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 13:57:49 »
There are things called bumber bits that you can fit on a hen's beak for a temporary period until the habit breaks, they can be bought from the domestic fowl trust. It prevents pecking but the hens can still eat and drink. Not something I'd personally want to use but if there's no other choice at least it's a temporary thing that can be removed unlike debeaking which I think is a terrible practice.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 14:00:23 »
I don't want to appear frivolous in the face of a genuine problem, but I was just reminded of a solution I saw a few years ago from the USA (where else?) which made me howl: each bird was fitted with contact lenses which made every other bird appear huge. OK, sorry. Back to normal. And I hope one of the more sensible suggestions clears your problem up Alan.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 14:59:44 »
Many thanks  for the info.
I will try the CD's.

The birds run free range in an area of 11 ft x 21 ft it is on two levels as they scratch in what use to be  a hebacious boarder made of railway sleepers the full length of the run.
The ground is covered in about 3 " of wood chipping so they can scratch around in and there is an under cover shelter for them to hide in.

I will als scrounge some more old tatts sprouts and cabbages of the allotment guies to feed them.

Cheers

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 19:57:08 »
debeaking which I think is a terrible practice.

I so agree

MM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal