Author Topic: I can't wait to have hens  (Read 5101 times)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
I can't wait to have hens
« on: March 18, 2006, 20:36:38 »
but I'll have to as according to our deeds we can't keep poultry in our garden and I don't feel they would be safe at the lottie and sadly I'm talking about 2 legged predators not 4!
Anyway today we visited a chicken breeder in Gloucestershire and I have fallen in love with these darlings.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: I can't wait to have hens
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 21:53:12 »
How old are the deeds? Lots of the houses in mid-Cornwall have all sorts of stuff in the deeds about no vegetables, washing, etc. etc. in the front garden, and it's not worth the paper it's written on any more. If it's a new estate it would be risky, but if it's from generations ago a court might be unlikely to enforce it.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 22:13:26 »
they are beautiful hens :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:41:54 »
Hi Robert
our house was built in 1980 so I'm  not sure.  there is a bit about not hanging out washing in the front garden at any time and in the back on sundays and bank holidays.  done both, well not the front garden  ::)  there is also something about not having caravans, boats or commercial vehicles on your drive and there are a few who don't take any notice of that.  It also says no parking of commercial vehicles on any of the estate roads and you get a fair bit of that.  problem is with so many people getting the wrong idea about how you can catch bird flu, I can see them complaining, regardless of the deeds.  but we'll see  :)

Thanks Jesse

MM

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 13:23:18 »
I should be a bit careful since it's recent. The bit about no washing might well be unenforceable, but if I were you I'd leave the hens till the hysteria dies down, then quietly put a couple in if you want, but make sure you've got somewhere to move them to if necesasary. That's my approach with bees, and I've never had problems.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 16:51:49 »
Trouble is Robert I have no where I could move them to if someone objected and was forced to move them from the garden, hence I must patiently wait till we move in hopefully about three years.

MM

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 13:15:41 »
Here are some more pics of the chooks we saw at the weekend, especially for Heldi  ;D
and I don't know how but yet another blue orpington seems to have been posted  ;)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 13:16:47 »
Ooops sorry, the Rhode Island Red seems to have come up excetionally large  ::)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 13:34:12 »
How did I not see this??!! 

MM those Blue Orpingtons are lovely.  Not surprised you can't wait!

That Buff coloured one I mentioned in the pm...it is the same sort of colour as the buff sussex but with no markings.

Those light sussex...Dennis should see those....he might get rid of his ginger mane!

Can I save your pictures? I'd like to have that big rhode island red on my desktop. Fab picture!

Ooooh I'd like to have one of each please!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 13:37:48 by Heldi »

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 15:51:47 »
Heldi, that is just how I felt when I looked at them, one of each please;D
Of course you can save what ever you want, I saved that one of Spook on your bird table without even bothering to ask  ::)
I don't think the orpingtons are brilliant layers but personally I wouldn't care, I just wanted to pick 'em up and give 'em a cuddle  :)
Maybe you should print off the pic of the light sussex for Dennis to hang in the hen house  ;D ;D

MM

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 17:11:48 »
I've saved 'em!  Actually I asked incase you decided to shrink that big one before I saved it!  Think it's a smashing picture.

I'm getting some stick at home because I want to paint the hen house in lots of bright colours then stick pictures up!  I had some pink paint and thought about painting the arch thing over their pop hole but OH thinks I'll give Dennis a complex!

I wasn't bothered about eggs either. I got hens because I have always wanted some and they could help with the weeding!  Now I have so many I've got too many eggs and they'll destroy the lotty if I dont keep an eye on them lol!  I've discovered that newly dug and raked areas make fabulous dust baths  ::)
Ho hum!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 17:24:00 »
If you want any of the others in a bigger size I might still have them, so just let me know.
Yes eggs are a bonus, but being a veggie having my own chooks seems the natural way to go.  I just hate the way chickens are generally treated which is why I gave up eating them  :'(

I'd love to have them at the lottie but as I've said I would be worried about them all the time.  I'd have to sleep up there to keep an eye on them, lol.

MM

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 17:32:45 »
They are all so gorgeous MM especially the Blue Orps....I had one until last year....she was beautiful and only had one wing that worked, but she was top girl! She also loved her daily cuddles and would sit on my lap in total  ecstasy while I tickled her earlobes and scratched her head ;D Unfortunately she died in her sleep last summer...so I have buried her on my allotment plot, just to keep her near me :)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 17:46:47 »
Sorry to hear that aga :'( but I guess it's nicest way to go.
I have to say I'm totally smitten, to me they are unbelievably beautiful :)

MM

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 17:49:54 »
Chickens ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 20:12:20 »
Lovely pictures, Merlins Mum.  No wonder you want to start keeping your own!
 ;D ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 20:29:43 »
ahhhhh they're gorgeous, all of them, but I still do like my Barnevelders and they have a fantastic nature :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 10:10:37 »
OH will be pleased to hear that Jesse, as he particularly liked the Barnevelders.  I teased him about it, saying it was the name he liked ::) but he says 'No, he thinks the hens are nice'.   I'll get him saying lovely in time I'm sure ;D ;D

MM

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 10:21:47 »
I know we are all hen nuts but when you see their plummage you can't help but think they are lovely,I mean I keep looking at the pictire of the Partridge Wyandotte,how can anyone not admire those feathers?  The fact the hens all have charactors makes them even more likeable too!

;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 10:25:58 »
She was a little darling too, on her own with OH, not mine, hers ;D
It's like each feather has been carefully painted.  I know you should never wish your life away but I do hope the next three years don't drag by!

MM x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal