Author Topic: COME ON GUYS NEW CAFE OPEN  (Read 4304 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
COME ON GUYS NEW CAFE OPEN
« on: March 17, 2006, 15:53:35 »
Didn't know John had taken phone pics. birds weclambering over the feeder within 10mins. I am delighted :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: COME ON GUYS NEW CAFE OPEN
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 15:57:06 »
OOPS sorry wrong pic, try again :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 16:42:43 »
well any takers yet?
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 16:45:43 »
:D  That looks super Lorna, now where are they pesky birds about....  patience is all you need.   I am sure they will find this marvellous feeding station soon, goldfinches, siskens, greenfinches, blue tits and the rest all swooping on Lornas new feeding station.  You even have a nearby hedge for them to sit in.   Yours lads have made a good job of it.  well done. 
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 16:59:27 »
Early days, no finches, blue tits yet but was amazed how quickly sparrows went straight on to it.(10mins). John, Donna and I stood in the kitchen watching. It was just put there as John carried it in. The blackbirds have nested in my conifers for about three years now. I was going to cut them down by a couple of feet before nesting time but due to COLD weather (and sciatica) have not got round to it.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 17:10:03 »
Hi Lorna, there's an article in the wiki about bird feeders which you might find useful.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 17:38:35 »
So Lorna's all-day Luncheonette well and truly OPEN!!

It is FAB Lorna!

;D ;D ;D Lishka x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 18:39:43 »
Thanks MikeB Will go and have a look.

Lish. Thanks for your remarks. I guess folk may be getting a little bored with my ramblings about feeder and trying to get birds but heyho I am one happy bunny ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 19:46:32 »
Lorna, we won't get bored as we are all eagerly awaiting your elusive visitors.  It looks a good set up there with the hedge and grass and your feeders are probably further away from the house now.   We all have our fingers crossed for you.     ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 19:56:05 »
Pauline7 Thanks!! Feeder is just as near bungalow, John just plonked it there but I think I am going to move it further away to try and entice the shy ones :)

Mikeb. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of wiki. Ashamed to say I haven't visited before but have just spent some time having a look. Some real interesting articles on wiki., will certainly be visiting again!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 20:59:45 »
Lorna, that bird table you've got? A lady whose garden I do has a variegated ivy planted round the base. It's now grown up the post and all over the table and its roof  - the birds just LOVE it - looks really good, too.
 :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 23:55:00 »
it'll be full of juicy spiders AM~yum ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 07:56:23 »
Lish. No No!! ;D  I have got ivy growing over the arch and along the wrought iron fence at the side of the bungalow. Some had taken over the 20ft side of the garage. I have tried to get rid of that as I want to put clematis there. Have also got ivy climbing  up part of the front wall. Have to keep that under control as it spreads across to Lorna's wall.. Mind you the birds had a hay day when I pulled loads down, I bet there were 30 snails clinging to garage wall.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 08:08:04 »
any action this am L ?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 08:14:53 »
GW. Elsa got me up at 6.30am guess where my first port of call was? I don't normally rise until 7.30am I have a habit of reading until after midnight!!
No new little friends but already lots of action.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 08:45:44 »
I'm amazed at the time it can take for birds to accept anything new. I put out a new fat block a few days ago, & no one's been near it.

My biggest disappointment was the all-singing all-dancing global 'hotel' that I got for them. It appeared the ultimate of logic & clever design. In 6 months, I think it had 3 visitors. So I binned it.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 09:05:24 »
Tim. Thank goodness there is lots of activity on the new station, especially after my sons efforts to make it..It is just that the finches and blue tits haven't found it yet. I am hoping but even if I only get the present visitors I am having great fun.
Definitely won't by buying them a hotel then ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 09:35:14 »
Lorna, it took about a week for the birds to really get going on my feeder stand, it is only about 10feet from my lounge window which is a large one but they are quite happy to feed close to the house now.  It is the sunflower hearts they like best by a long way.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 20:57:03 »
Lorna, my blue tits have a preference for the half coconut shells that are filled with fat and have nuts in them (see picture).   They are available in most DIY stores, Pet shops and Garden Centres.  The problem if you get one will be to site it on your feeder stand where it is not so accessible to the starlings.  The starlings don't go on mine as much as they do the fat slab which is in a cage and can be gripped more easily by them.

The other thing that definitely attracts birds to gardens is water.  Do you have a bird bath or pond that they can drink from or splash around in?  With your new interest in birds, a bird bath may be an idea for a Birthday or Christmas present if you haven't already got one!  ;D  ;D  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 21:13:22 »
Pauline Sausages (saves me swearing ::)) I went to the pet shop and got  plenty more seed. I meant to get the half coconut shell as I remembered seeing it on your feeder!! Will get it on Monday. I think I will put it in same position as you have it.
Yes I do have a bird bath which Charlie bought several years ago as I have always liked watching the birds having their bath. I keep it clean and  filled with clean water. It is placed quite near the feeder.
We will get there in the end ;D  Many thanks
Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal