Author Topic: What do you do with your leggy/runty plants  (Read 3139 times)

emma h

• Quarter Acre
What do you do with your leggy/runty plants
« on: March 15, 2006, 15:00:31 »
Hi
This is my first year, and I'm having a lot of fun. My first broad beans were very leggy (I left them on a heated mat thinking this would be good..I've now learned it isn't ;D)

I now have attempt 2 which are small and bushy rather than tall, but what do I do with my leggy ones? and any other thinnings/2nd class plants? do you just throw them on the compost heap or do you plant them up anyway? It seems a skame to dump them after all that nurturing

Emma

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: What do you do with your leggy/runty plants
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 16:24:38 »
I tend to compost my weak plants prefer to grow on the better specimens. For this reason I always over sow.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:23:50 »
I 'recycle' some of them (the healthly looking ones) by planting them deeper in a bigger pot. Seems a shame to waste them somehow.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 13:29:05 »
I can never bear to throw them away. I've currently got a dozen leggy sunflowers in the kitchen propped up with lolly sticks.

THEY HAVE FEELINGS YOU KNOW  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:43:51 »
Try pinching out the top of the leggy seedlings for things like peas and beans and they will grow more bushier with sideshoots. Hope this helps, Dan :-)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:54:16 »
glad you're enjoying this emma h ;) :D
Jerry's approach may sound ruthless, but apparently your yield from plants in the prime of condition is '00s more than from runty leggy ones. I wish I could be as tough, it's very hard not to get sentimental. Maybe compromise - I cut leggy plants above the first true leaves, and they will sprout from the joints and make a more bushy plant. Even so, if the weather's not with us, into the compost they go ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal