Author Topic: Local Authority compost bin  (Read 6101 times)

Sprout

• Acre
Local Authority compost bin
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:17:37 »
I've just taken delivery of a new 330 litre compost bin, valued at £49, which cost me only £6 (220 lt for £4, 700lt for £20) with free delivery included under some sort of composting scheme operated by Notts County Council.

It's worth checking on your LA web sites etc to see if other LAs operate similar schemes.  ;D
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: Local Authority compost bin
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:37:12 »
York operates such a scheme, although they are only offering the 330 litre bin for £6 at the moment.  They also have kitchen caddies for £4 and waterbuts too, but I can't remember how much they are.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 19:13:29 »
Ooh, just looked - South Oxfordshire do not make finding out about it easy... anyway, it appears I can purchase some too for just £6.  Not the kind I'd have liked (they are the ones with the small door at the bottom that a spade would hardly fit into...) but I can always tip them over and empty them that way as they look bottomless...

mat

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 19:26:02 »
Edinburgh it's £5 for the dalek and a free kitchen caddy and bags.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 19:39:40 »
That sounds like mine, Mat. I think that they're actually supplied by a company in Yorkshire. Forgot to mention that you can order up to 3 per household.

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 19:45:25 »
Yep...West Berks Council are doing the same scheme.....just waiting for mine to be delivered and then I can start filling...

Gerry

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 19:47:35 »
I wanted one of those for xmas but got my lusted after trug instead (simple minds, eh? ;D)

Just found out our prices are: 330l = £9.00 inc VAT & delivery! Bargain! Very tempted to get one of those to result in proper compost instead of risking it with palletts that I've yet to pilfer from passing skips in the night!

Edited to add: Just bought one, will expect delivery soon & oh, I'm so excited! It's like xmas all over again!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 19:56:12 by bennettsleg »

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 22:32:52 »
I just hope when they are delivered that they will fit in my car (prob 1 at a time) to take to the lottie... Also not sure what to do about delivery as I wouldn't be in to take collection...

mat

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 22:49:23 »
They left them in our garden? Don't know if you don't have a garden ??? :-\

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 08:10:42 »
The two bigger sizes come flat packed - the dalek could be a bit more interesting to fit into a small car.....
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:50:33 »
;D

I squashed a large black dalek into the back of my Punto...couldnt see out the back window and it is still slightly oval instead of round!!!!!

;D

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 09:58:22 »
I'm in Norfolk and have just received three  of the big 700 litre ones(yes really!) for our little Grow Our Own cooperative we have set up. I think all the LAs have to offer them but don't make it easy since it must cost a lot. They're a cinch to put up and pack flat. The delivery was a bit delayed because they sent out three to the wrong address and had to re-deliver.So there's someone out there with three huge plastic piles on their doorstep and wondering what they're for...
By the way they seem to be made from recycled plastic in Austria! How green is that? You would think we Brits could make them!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 13:43:45 »
;D

I squashed a large black dalek into the back of my Punto...couldnt see out the back window and it is still slightly oval instead of round!!!!!

;D

I'll raise you two in a Polo! (admittedly one inside the other :) )

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 18:10:43 »
Mine went in a Peugeot 106 (currently housing an old carpet for weed control once the snow goes)

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 19:16:49 »
Mine, the middle size one of the 3 on offer, wasn't flat packed. The deliveryman just chucked it, at my request, over my side gate. Although I was told to expect delivery within 28 days, I got it in only 4. It even arrived before the paperwork telling me to wait for 28 days!!!

cyrilsquirrel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 20:04:31 »
If you are in Lancashire you can get them for free!
They even bring them to your door....can't argue with that!!! ;D

daisydoo

• Not So New ...
  • Leeds
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 20:26:43 »
I live in Leeds and have just ordered a 330 litre compost bin. If I had purchased it through the Leeds city council scheme it would have cost me £15, but ordered through Yorkshire water's scheme it cost me £6 for what looks to be the same bin from the same company!

Scope254

• Not So New ...
    • bensham manor allotments
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 19:38:08 »
If you live in Croydon:

Composting need no longer cost the earth.  Priced at just £12* to Croydon residents, the Compost Machine 220 is perfect for all your composting needs. 

The bin is suitable for use in an average-sized garden, and has a hatch at the bottom to allow easy access to the compost you produce.

How to order

To order your own high-quality compost bin, call Straight Recycling on 0845 130 6090, and mention the 'Croydon Council Compost Bin' offer.

Straight Recycling also offers a range of other recycling and garden products, including water butts and composting aids.

*This is a special offer - the bin normally costs up to £39.95.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 21:33:39 »
Yup Essex too, from memory 220 ltr £5, 330 £6, 660 £15.

I got 3 of the latter last year -all now in use.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal