Author Topic: water containers  (Read 1745 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
water containers
« on: March 10, 2006, 18:27:13 »
I visited my lottie today and noticed my 2 water tubs are full, but the water looks a bit green.  Should I empty them and start again with fresh rainfall.  Thanks for any advice.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: water containers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 18:30:23 »
I don't think it matters Maggie. You probably won't like it but I don't think your plants will care.  :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 18:34:08 »
no.-man of little words me

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 18:35:46 »
Wow. What a speedy reply.  No I am not bothered.  Nice to have the problem resolved, so I don't have to heave them over and maybe get wet in the process.  Cheers and thanks.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:00:50 »
There are two things you can do to stop the algea from forming. Put a lid on your tubs, to stop the sun light. A small pinch of lime scattered over the top of the water will change the PH of the water (it will not harm your plants) but it would probable stop the algea from growing.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 12:45:15 »
A little green doesn't matter at all. If the water turns really green or red this is an algal bloom; it won't harm your plants but the odd year I had one in my water butt I was overwhelmed by midges. The larvae fed on the algae and there were tens of thousands of the things round my shed. A lid soon sorted matters out; the algae died and the midges lost their food supply.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 13:06:09 »
At least it shows your water is clean, for if contaminated, the algae are unlikely to form. As already said, it should not be problem unless it gets excessive.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 14:53:10 »
I stumbled on an answer to this problem. By accident, I introduced duck weed to my water butts, this quickly grew to cover the surface, and kept growing into a thick layer, I now and again remove 95% of it to the compost heap, and noticed that the water below is always clean and pure! I have a tap on the side, so getting my water is no problem, but if you are dipping, then it will block your can rose. I think what is happening is the duck weed is using up any nitrogen that may find it's way off the roof (bird poo), and there is nothing left for algea, plus they exclude the light. Neat organic idea, that's what I like. Glad this post reminded me to pass on the tip. The duck weed is enjoyed by my worms too.

Brian

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal