Author Topic: petrol chain saw  (Read 2705 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
petrol chain saw
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:00:56 »
Does any one know if the petrol chain saw on sale at ALDIS is worth buying? It's £89.99.
Specs:
42cc/1.8hp petrol chainsaw
Max. no load speed: 11,500rpm
45cm/18" Oregon blade and chain (with automatic lubrication)
Electronic ignition
Safety trigger throttle
Latch quick start system
3 position choke
Chain brake and hand-guard
Anti-vibration system
\" chain-pitch
0.050"/1.3mm chain gauge
95ml chain oil included
I don't know anything about them but would find one very useful as I have a wood burning fire.

tin can

• Half Acre
Re: petrol chain saw
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:56:25 »
yes..we have a chain saw! I don't know about the one you mention, but a good site is   www.husqvarna.com just to look up the spec of their expensive range. It will give you an idea of how heavy duty that one is. If you have a wood stove- as we do- collecting wood,cutting,chopping,splitting,stacking, and finally burning it adds a new dimension to your life! However,we bought a pretty cheap chain saw and ended up getting very frustrated at it's limitations,so ended up partXing it with a much more powerful one. The more powerful it is, the thicker and denser the branch it will cut through. (You never know what your'e going to find!) Also, if you are going to get one,make sure you are shown how to use and service it, and DO buy protective garments(trousers at the least) as accidents are so easy and dramatic :o   you may think it is a bargin ,but it might not fulfill your expectations!The cost pales into nothing when you think of all the money you will save over the years. Think of it as a new hobby. ;) Have fun!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:12:32 »
 ;D Buy an axe and keep fit ;D I'm a lumberjack I don't care... ::) :P ;D
I bought a second hand generator that has been worth its weight in gold, I get to use all my domestic power tools (that are a lot cheaper than petrol driven tools) although I doubt if they make an electric chainsaw :o ;D or do they ???

Just that I noticed Aldi are selling Genny's for £60 8)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 13:20:23 »
Pretty sure you are not allowed to use a chain saw without a license so it may be worth checking this out before you buy.  My mate is a forester and he has a chainsaw license.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 13:43:58 »
You can buy and use chainsaws without a licence - but the NPTC licence is often required to buy chainsaws above a certain size or to do any professional work.

Really dangerous pieces of kit, IMO. I know of two people who have had serious accidents using them, so as per tin can's comments - get proper training and proper protective equipment.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 13:59:47 »
I agree with what has been said. The biggest problem for the non professional is arrogance, the belief that training is not needed. Remember also protective equipment is only effective if it is used correctly, hence reinforcing the need for proper training.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 15:13:40 »
you can buy electric chainsaws. Ive got one at my lottie for the hedgerows.

Chainsaws are fitted with brakes so they do stop quickly, they dont keep running for ages like a circular saw.  That isnt a bad price for a chainsaw. I would get it if i didnt all ready have one.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 16:46:44 »
My Job See's me maintain over  3000 pieces of horticultural equipment including chainsaws , Husqvarna and stihl among others upto 36"bar lengths
I also hold a licence for felling trees.
I have seen  this chainsaw and for the average occasional user they are OK.
If you are going to cutting trees down regular then look for something a little better. I would consider buying this saw to cut wood for a stove as i would not think you would be cutting up large trunks and would be snedding more likely.
As for P.P.E. 
Gloves , helmet and visor with peak protection,boots or spats will add the price up....but when you see a saw kick back and the damage to someones body......well worth the price.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 16:49:00 »
travman... that avater is huge!  :o

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 17:03:20 »
Removed the avatar.. sorry
strange  though have always used it , changed nothing.. but today it was the size of the screen :o

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 19:13:05 »
Taking everyones advice on board but haven't made my mind up yet (got till the 9 march) I was brought up sawing, chopping, axing, splitting, stacking, fetching and burning wood as at one time it was our only source of heat so am very aware of dangers relating to chainsaws and have the greatest respect for them especially as I have repaired injuries caused by them in the line of duty.
Don't need it for trees just branches that I happen to come across on my travels. It just seems such a waste leaving perfectly good wood to rot when with a few alterations it could fit in my really strong bags that I keep in the car for scavenging. I have to work out how long £89.99's worth of coal would last me compared to life expectancy of chainsaw with incurred costs, hmmm.
Kids hate the fact that the car is always 'dirty' from carrying things I've found that 'might be useful' ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 21:43:48 »
Ani,
I think that now you have filled us in for the potential reasons to buy - it could be worth buying. Keep on the ground when working & use the safety gear.
I missed the scarifier deal at Aldi - pissed off!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 14:47:28 »
Well, I went and bought the chainsaw though glancing through the instructions you need a degree to get it up and going. It will be my night time reading for the next week. My OH won't allow the heating on unless it's in the minuses he just says 'put your coat on' so now I can have the house warmer without feeling guilty.
Already have a pile of branches given to me and my very kind neighbour is making me a 'saw horse' to make it safer for me to use the chainsaw.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 22:09:42 »
yay!!

remeber once going for a compresser to aldi. knew they would sell out quick, so me and me uncle qued outside before opening, when they opened the door i ran in vaulted a barrier, got there first grabbed one, put it at the side while uncle fetched trolley. through tills and gone in 10 minutes. not a bad baragin though, compresser for £60!!  they did indeed asell out within bout 5 minutes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal