Author Topic: Advice needed please ...  (Read 2920 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Advice needed please ...
« on: March 06, 2006, 13:13:52 »
Hi Folks  ;D

My ex OH has just presented me with 35 demijohns and a fruit press (think he's trying to finish me off!) and I've been inspired by some of your recipes on here!

The thing is ... my house is like a cross between Steptoe's and Mr. Trebus'. I haven't got anywhere to ferment wine etc. The warmest place is in my bedroom but I can't face the 'plop plop plopping' of 35 demijohns of wine through the night  ::)

Soooooo ... do you think I could ferment in a greenhouse over the summer? I've got a 'spare one' (believe it or not!) There's no heating in it though.

And two more questions:

Can you make cider out of cooking apples or will it be like drinking liquid lemons?

Is there such a thing as 'courgette' wine?

Thanks in advance!

Trixie XXXX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Advice needed please ...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 13:47:37 »
Ignore the question about cider ... just found the answer on here! Remind me to search threads before posting!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 15:33:07 »
35 demijohns sounds like you might create another problem ... but if that occurs there are other forums that can help  :D

If you are going to make wines from fresh produce, then rhubarb may be your first brew, it is gorgeous and very easy, there are recipes on this board.

As for courgette wine, I have not seen this specifically, but I made some pumpkin wine recently, it is not worth doing, believe me !!! I can only guess that courgette wine could be similar, although I have heard of people doing a marrow brew that is allegedly drinkable. Not for me though.

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck and hope you become a regular contributor to this board.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 15:46:13 »
Thanks for that Curry! I've got loads of rhubarb to make wine out of!

And I'll take your advice about courgettes and marrows .. I just thought that last year I had about a hundredweight of 'em! I'll just not plant them this year ... that's the LOGICAL thing to do!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 13:08:50 »
Oh .. and the whole front of my 'spare greenhouse' fell off today when I kicked the door shut so that particular 'fermenting venue' is off limits for the time being  ::)

I'll start 'small' with 5 demijohns in the airing cupboard instead and see how I go  ;D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 13:55:00 »
Your greenhouse will be too hot in the summer -well it would have been, OK now ;D

Wine doesn't need to be *that* hot to ferment late 60's to early '70s is ideal, and it only needs to be at that temp. for 2-3 weeks (ish). Cider -as long as it's not frozen.

Jeremy

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 14:04:18 »
Thanks Derbex & PMSL @ "I've come about the reaping"  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal