Author Topic: Winter? More like early spring to me  (Read 3135 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Winter? More like early spring to me
« on: March 03, 2006, 18:14:27 »
Just like to say that down here in Dorset it is hard to believe the winter weather some of you folks are having 'oop north'. Today was a lovely sunny day, a bit on the chilly side but nothing like what it was supposed to be. In fact it felt more like early spring than late winter, and many of 'my' garden birds seemed to agree with me, judging by the calls, songs and general activity observed.

Sorry, dont mean to gloat  ;) ;D :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 18:47:05 by Garden Cadet »

Dan 2

• Acre
Re: Winer? More like early spring to me
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 18:31:06 »
Yes, quite spring like here in Kent aswell, although we did have a frost this morning. But, I WANT SNOOOOOOOOOOOOW!  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 19:00:32 »
:(

Got loads of it here and I am on a night shift driving about in it tonight >:(

Come on up to the frozen wastes which used to be Oldham and help yourself!!!!

;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 19:02:52 »
;D Gloat on Richard ;D We had nearly minus 6ºC (21ºF) last night in our little garden and with the Beeb weather site getting it wrong again ::) we had a brilliantly bright very mild sunny day here today with no wind and a high of 6ºC (43ºF) ideal plotty weather but unfortunately I couldn't get up there today :'(

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 19:07:22 »
Same here Roy.   8)  Wall to wall sunshine but temps never got much above 3-4 degrees.  Gorgeous day and sooooo beautiful with all the snow.  Sat in the conservatory most of the afternoon just looking at the garden and watching the birds feeding... Lovely  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 23:11:38 »
-2 again on the school run, but when the sun comes out it is gorgous.  The sky is clear bright blue and I have never seen so many blackbirds in our garden as I am seeing at the moment!  When I peg the washing out, they are hopping all over the place, and I know when the pesky cat is in the garden as the noise the blackies make can be heard from indoors!  And it was still daylight (just) at 6pm this evening!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 07:39:23 »
another lovely sunny day here today but the ground is solid.

where i'd poured some water away the other night is still in solid sheets of ice, not having managed to melt down yet.

we had a snow flurry yesterday but didn't last til i got home.  it's lovely watching it come down though.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 09:20:41 »
Must be quite a North/South divide as we are still in the middle of winter in the North East.  Here is a pic I have just taken through our study window into the back garden.  At least the snow makes my back garden look nice and tidy.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 11:32:47 »
We had about 6 inches of snow yesterday in my part of Edinburgh. Took me over an hour to drive home from work (normally 20 minutes)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 13:43:39 »
one of our lads works in glasgow, lives in livi with heavily pregnant wife almost due !  the weather reports from the east were coming in thick and fast just in case he was snowed out and had to make a dash for it.  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Winter? More like early spring to me
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 18:52:59 »
Well we are still geting cold nights in addition to the 'mild' sunny days. Got down to -4.5c here last night (even recorded a near -6c earlier in the week) These temperatures are the absolute minimum though with daytime highs of between 7c and 8c.

Still to cold for sowing, planting etc but have managed to get through quite a bit of the late winter pruning that needs doing in the garden.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 21:28:08 »
Well despite the snow it was like springtime here today! Unfortunately I've had a really stinking cold for the last week so didn't feel up to putting on wooly bunnet  and thick gloves to play in the garden. Maybe tomorrow, though I'm currently so knackered after work I don't know what I'll manage.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 21:50:16 »
Hi grawrc, Snow still lingering here, though melting in places. There was a Spring feel to the day here too though.  Sorry you are full of cold, you stay indoors tomorrow and rest and get better properly. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 08:42:32 »
It is difficult to imagine that this time last year I was planting my onions. My seed beds are not ready for planting yet, everything seems a few weeks later this season.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 09:18:37 »
Lovely sunny weekend in London. And believe it or not, yesterday afternoon it was warm enough on the lottie to work in a t-shirt! :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 09:55:01 »
Apparently Oxford was the sunniest place in the UK yesterday - 9.6 hours of sunshine  ;D no wonder it was so warm yesterday (here anyway!)

mat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 13:00:35 »
Fabaroonee morning in my part of Essex.  There was a little dusting of snow on the ground, but it was that very granular snow, so vanished quickly.  Once the urchins were safely packed up at school, I spent the morning in the garden.  ONe great thing and the winter winds is it blows all of the dead wood out of our weeping willow saving us the job!  Rake up a couple of sacks of brittle twigs, then sorted the pond.  There are signs of life everywhere.  Angelica, eringiums, aquilegias, dicentra, ferns and of course, loads of bulbs now up and looking lovely.  Crocus and snowdrops in flowers and daffs and bluebells in bud.  Very happy.  Still have a couple of hours work, but have run out of time today, so maybe tomorrow when I get home from one of the gardens I visit....  Very very spring like in Essex today!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 15:08:32 »
Hi Grawrc,

I was out and about in all that snow too - taking my mum to see my dad in the Royal after major surgery.  We were on the A7 in the worst of it and in the end I just kept going as I came to the conclusion if I tried to turn around, I'd definitely get stuck.  When we left 90mins later, it was clear and dry! I felt guilty about dragging mum away so soon, but if it had carried on, I didn't think we'd get back to the Borders. 

Come back Saaf and found another couple of plants frosted, possible terminally - the Leptospermum is completely bare and the escalonnias I moved in the heat of the Christmas break are looking decidedly ill.  The banana plant is mush ( my fault, didn't give enough protection) but the two year old tree fern ( I'm patient) still has green fronds.

And now it's sunny and I want to be out moving things around  whaaaaaa!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 10:36:33 »
Well despite the snow it was like springtime here today! Unfortunately I've had a really stinking cold for the last week so didn't feel up to putting on wooly bunnet  and thick gloves to play in the garden. Maybe tomorrow, though I'm currently so knackered after work I don't know what I'll manage.
You have my sympathy grawc. I have been exactly the same. Its been very frustrating, lots to do, sunny (but cold) weather, yet feeling miserable and not feeling like doing anything in the garden. Still better yesterday, when it really DID feel like spring!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal