Author Topic: 'Leggy' seedlings  (Read 2866 times)

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
'Leggy' seedlings
« on: March 01, 2006, 22:01:21 »
Can anyone give me advice on starting things off in modules?

I've tried a few things recently - mizuna, chard, beetroot - more as an experiment really. Everything germinates well but then rapidly goes 'leggy' with the seed leaves flopping around on a 2 inch shoot. This is ok if I'm pricking out because I can bury the seedling up to its seed leaves, but if I'm sowing straight into modules I can't do this.

I think this may be due to temperature - the only space I have is indoors on a windowsill and our house is a constant 20 degsC 24 hours a day. Is this too hot for seedlings?

Any advice gratefully received.

Robin

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Re: 'Leggy' seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 22:21:46 »
I'm too much of a newbie to be giving a lot of advice, but as soon as my seedlings have  germinated, I whip them into my cold greenhouse. Not lost anything yet, and the drop in temperature seems to slow them down and prevent them from getting too leggy!

Have got onions, greyhound cabbage and lettuce (all year round) in there with some Toms Alicante, Sweet Million and Gardeners Delight to follow when they are through. I have a feeling some heat would be a good idea at the moment!

Good luck!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:40:47 »
Leggy suggests they are reaching for light to me. If you are stuck with the windowsill, and you suspect that poor light may be an issue, try putting reflective foil around the edges of the seed trays to reflect some light back onto the plants. Also examine which windowsills you are using, as south facing windows will be best.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 18:16:39 »
I seem to suffer from leggy seedlings, whatever I do. My seedlings are on a south facing windowsill, surrounded by tin foil, but still they tend to get leggy.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 18:51:27 »
I've only started sweetpeas off so far, but I drape heavy curtains over the back of the reflecting light box at night, and with single glazed windows this keeps them cooler than the house but still frost free.  During the day they go outside in a large fish tank which has been laid on its side.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

robsa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 19:15:52 »
Thanks for the replies.

My seedlings are on a bright south-facing window. I think the main problem could be that we've got a new-fangled 'thermal store' heating system that keeps the whole house at 20degs even at night. I'm guessing that high temperatures plus darkness is what's causing the legginess (is this a technical term?)

I've bought a mini-greenhouse that I've set up on a south-facing wall against the house. I'm going to try again and move things into it as soon as there are any signs of life and before they get their legs on  :).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Robin

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 22:06:56 »
I'm noticing the difference between seedlings (most of which I've sown just as an experiment). The tomatoes and basil are fine, as are the aubergines, but the cauliflowers have gone nuts and can't be planted out. The spinach is weird, but all the spinach I've ever sown has been odd, so I can't put it down to the windowsill! Do different seedlings expect different heat and light levels?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

robsa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 10:55:39 »
That makes sense, Bupster. Toms and aubergines prefer higher temps, I think, and the same probably goes for basil being a mediterranean plant.

It looks like it's all down to temperature. Now if only I could find a happy medium between the 20degs inside and the -5 degs outside  :).

Bupster - just noticed from the map that you're in Cambridge. I'm over in Cambourne - just added my pin to the map  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:06:37 by robsa »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 12:39:28 »
I've got the same problem with tomato seeds sown earlier this week in a heated propagator. I was really excited when I got this for Christmas a few years ago, but everything I put in it seems to get TOO hot, probably because it's in a sunny room. I think I'll try it in the coldest room in the house and see if it makes a difference. May have to start again with the tomatoes, though!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 18:30:16 »
I inherited an electric propergator & I'm using it for the first time this year.  I have been following the advice I found on this site to remove them as soon as the seeds have germinated.  I've still got a conservatory full of leggy seedlings though.

amphibian

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 19:37:18 »
I've got the same problem with tomato seeds sown earlier this week in a heated propagator. I was really excited when I got this for Christmas a few years ago, but everything I put in it seems to get TOO hot, probably because it's in a sunny room. I think I'll try it in the coldest room in the house and see if it makes a difference. May have to start again with the tomatoes, though!

I've had similar issues, my peppers were nearly wiped out when the temperature in my propagator reached 63C. I have learnt to open the vents and switch the power off when the sun is blazing.

buddy12

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 19:41:30 »
Being a newbie, what makes a seedling leggy? e.g how long does the stem have to be? I have just sown some tomato seeds in a heated propagator and they are looking rather long!! Are they now no good or can they be rescued?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 20:00:13 »
Slow down, folks. Quite a few plants mentioned are being sown too soon. You can't expect seedlings to lie dormant if you plant them in 'perfect conditions'. But think about when they have to go outside. Plan according to that. You can slow them down a tad by reducing the temperature, but ideally, sow them later, no panic, they'll catch up. Those that are leggy now and have 4 leaves can normally be potted on and buried up to the first leaf.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal