Author Topic: First steps to beekeeping  (Read 12842 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
First steps to beekeeping
« on: February 28, 2006, 22:19:07 »
I've taken the first steps into the world of bees and have contacted my local beekeepers club through the beekeepers association. Still not sure if I'll be able to keep bees myself but I'm looking forward to learning more about bees anyway. oooooh, very exciting, just had to share it will you all ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: First steps to beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 06:29:54 »
Do they have an Association apiary? If so, you'll have a place to keep them if you need it. If you get an opportunity to get some equipment second-hand and it's in decent condition, don't miss it. New prices are disgusting. Meanwhile read all you can, and grab any opportunity you get to see the inside of a hive.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:13:15 »
They did say something about having one but it's not located in my town, it's about 8 miles away, but it's great because it's somewhere hands-on that I can learn. The theory side of their training/club meetings are done at a nature reserve about 2 miles from where I live so that's great! I'm off to look at some books, I think you posted a link at my forum for books :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 17:48:59 »
I probably did. https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/shania?ACTION=thispage&THISPAGE=page53.html&ORDER_ID=143350053 . Ted Hooper's 'Guide to Bees and Honey' is a good one to start with.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 22:11:46 »
Thanks Robert, I've ordered the book, looking forward to it arriving. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 22:27:27 »
Once you've got bees, there are more I'd recommend, but you don't really need to know about stuff like queen selection yet. If your Association has a library (most do), make use of it. If you can find a copy of Ron Brown's 'Beekeeping: a Seasonal Guide', grab it. It's out of print and invaluable. There are a couple on Abe Books http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&ds=30&bi=0&an=Ron+Brown&y=20&tn=beekeeping+a+seasonal+guide&sortby=2&x=29 . Another thing to do is join the Irish Beekeeping List at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/irishbeekeeping/ . Despite the name, it's international, and it'll put you in touch with the latest ideas. Mite control methods, in particular, are developing very fast.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 22:33:29 by Robert_Brenchley »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 21:53:04 »
National hives in the flat (the normal way of getting the standard UK hive - you have to assemble it but it's pretty straightforward) are available from The Apiculture Centre, Lawn Rd, Ashleworth, Gloucester GL19 4SL, tel 07810 476 554, Email theapiculturecentre@hotmail.co.uk for £36. Their ad in 'Beecraft' doesn't specify whether they're cedar or pine (I suspect the latter) but it sounds like pretty good value. They've got other equipment at good prices as well.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 23:33:14 »
thanks Robert, that is a good price. We were talking about bees today and think we've found a spot in the garden where they could go. I also found another notice in the farm shop advertising a beekeeping course at another club near us, as our local one is part way through the course already I might see if I can join this course, it starts at the end of the month. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 00:54:55 »
Do it, you'll learn no end. I learnt from books and what I could pick up on the net. The latter is seriously confusing at first; if you have two beekeepers together you always seem to end up with at least three strongly held opinions. But without it I'd never have learnt the latest methods, so it pays in the long run.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 22:49:19 »
I spoke to the chap today about the beekeeping course, it starts in just over a weeks time and we're (me and OH) booked onto it. :)

RacheBee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 22:53:02 »
sounds cool, my grandfather was a beekeeper in his spare time and we have hives on the lotty both honey bees and a bumble sanctuary area.
Any other lotty's got bees?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 00:39:33 »
Mine, illegally. There are loads of sites which have them legally; bees and allotments go together extremely well. I've had mine ever since I've had the plot, and they've never caused a problem.

maureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 18:57:11 »
Hello Jesse, my husband Sam and Myself have had bees for three years on our allotment we have had no bother..the crops have increased on everyones allotment, just having the bees is a real pleasure just to watch and study them is a real privilege, I find them a stress reliever we are privileged to have them..In the very early days of beekeeping we joined the beekeeping association they were very helpful loads of information and the bee Inspector came to Inspect the hives what a mine of Information..Then Lo and behold beekeepers were behind every door I never knew a beekeeper before we bought our hives, now they seemed to appear from everywere,we thank them all for all there help O a book we were advised to buy for beginners was Bees at the bottom of the garden by Alan Campion..Highly reccomended, seen us through all our swarming seasons and spring feeding  sorting out the queen cells and other problems..only been keeping bees for three years but we have loads to learn good luck with your bees I know you will never be stuck for help or advice..and the honey harvest Is wonderful Kindest regards Maureen..

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 20:23:11 »
I'm encouraged to ask if I'm allowed to have some. What about vandals?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 21:24:58 »
This can be a problem; they're unlikely to push a hive over or anything involving physical proximity, but stone throwing can do a surprising amount of damage. Keep them out of sight as far as possible, and if you don't ask permission, nobody gets a chance to say no. It depends whether you can keep them hidden, or whether they'll be in full view of all around.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 21:41:33 »
Impossible to hide them from other lottie-holders so I'd have to ask. On the other hand there is a perfect spot between my shed and my greenhouse that is protected from stone-throwing. Thanks Robert. I'll read the association rules and think whether I can apply officially.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 13:41:22 »
thanks Maureen for your post :D

OH and I attended the first meeting last night and it was great fun. A huge number of people turned out, membership at the club is currently 70ish, last night approx 45 new members turned up to join. I learnt loads and we're going to take the option of keeping our hive at the associations aipary (sp?) for the first year. That way we have somewhere to keep it and it's at a place where there is always someone knowledgeable around to give us advice, a great way of learning and building confidence. After the fist year then we'll make a decision where to put the hive(s). The other thing I learnt last night is that beekeepers, like gardeners, are great people :)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 16:06:33 »
My next  door Allotment, has a Beehive and it is secluded nicely, about 20 ft away, but when it is  a Hot day, I often get Stung ,while working on my own Allotment. The Chap on this Allotment, is a really nice guy --very helpful, I haven`t  got  the `nerve` to tell him, his Beehive is a pain in the neck, even though I know, Bees are a good pollinators.
The Allotment the other side of him, nobody wants.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 16:14:10 by pntalbot »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 16:58:32 »
Ah that's another important factor then, although from what (little) I've read about bees I think that some sorts are less aggressive than others. Actually I've never been stung by a bee but I live in terror of wasps. :o :o

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 17:09:45 »
My next  door Allotment, has a Beehive and it is secluded nicely, about 20 ft away, but when it is  a Hot day, I often get Stung ,while working on my own Allotment. The Chap on this Allotment, is a really nice guy --very helpful, I haven`t  got  the `nerve` to tell him, his Beehive is a pain in the neck, even though I know, Bees are a good pollinators.
The Allotment the other side of him, nobody wants.

that's interesting to know. when you are working at your allotment are you in the line of flight for the bees going back to their hive? I've been told that if the hive is sited near a fence or hedge then it forces the bees flight path up above human height and should avoid situations like yours. I'd be interested to know because wherever we site our hive I don't want any complaints from other people, I want to get it right first time. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal