Author Topic: Dividing Streptocarpus  (Read 3383 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Dividing Streptocarpus
« on: February 16, 2006, 23:18:53 »
Has anyone had much success with cutting up pot bound plants to divide them?

If so, when is the best time to do this?  Now?  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

myrtle

• Half Acre
Re: Dividing Streptocarpus
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 23:44:27 »
Yes flowerlady, now's the time to repot into larger pots and I have successfully divided mine by cutting through the lot with a knife.  Just so long as there are several plants and each has some good roots, they'll be OK. :)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 00:02:37 »
Thanks, that will be my first job this week-end  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 21:30:42 »
Dont over pot them  ;)
You can take great leaf cuttings to and they root easy and with very little help.
All my streps spend the summer outside in a shady spot and they love it :)
mind it makes life easier for me as i have about 100 varietys (got a bit out of hand !!)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 00:14:08 »
:o :o :o  wow they must make a fabulous display, where do you keep them all?  Any photos?

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:38:34 »
They are in there own piece of my greenhouse 16 x 10 with a divider at 10ft so the streps have 6ft.
yes have piccys :) will post some later :)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 15:28:55 »
Hi there

A question (or two) please - I have a couple of these plants which I purchased last year.  Some are doing really well - one actually flowered a couple of weeks ago!  But there are some others that do not seem to be doing well (small and light green leaves).  I have tried moving them to various locations inside the house but to no avail.

Must I repot them all now into new soil and a bigger pot or just top up the pot soil in the ones doing well and totally repot the ones doing bad :-\  I remember reading that these plants flower better in cramped conditions.

Also with regard to leaf cuttings - last year I cut across the leaf and had no babies - they all just rotted but I read somewhere that you can also cut up along the centre vein of the leaf and place in soil with better results - anyone had better results this way before?

Sorry about all the questions  ;D
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal