Author Topic: tricky question about contamination  (Read 2495 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
tricky question about contamination
« on: February 27, 2006, 14:49:40 »
Part of my plot is about to be fenced in, so that I will have an extra bit of land to use. The problem is that for a long time it has been used by dogs as a toilet, because it is right next to the path that goes through our allotments and people walk their dogs through it.
I want to make a new bed there when the fencing is complete, but I am worried about the soil being contaminated by dog dirt. I know that dog dirt mustn't be composted so I was wondering what the effects of the stuff is on the soil and how long it is before any 'nasties' are washed away?
Have you any suggestions of what could be grown in the soil this year or whether I should leave it for a year?
I don't need the space urgently for this year, but I do want to get it ready over the spring/summer for next year. Any suggestions gratefully received!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: tricky question about contamination
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 17:19:41 »
???

Don't know the proper answer, but it would worry me too!! Think I agree about not using it right now. How about getting some manure all over the space and then covering it for a year and letting the worms do their stuff?

Bet someone clever will know!!

;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 18:29:10 »
Hi Vee  :D, I read this and thought about Toxocariasis.

You might want to do a web search for Toxocariasis which will bring you here ...

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAndSocialCareTopics/Toxocariasis/fs/en

and here ... http://www.newtownabbey.gov.uk/dogs/toxocara.htm

In particular there is this ...

I've moved to a new home where the previous owner had a dog. Can I treat the garden to kill any remaining Toxocara eggs?
Most responsible pet owners do worm regularly so there should not be a problem. However, simple hygiene measures should always be advised. For example, wear gloves when gardening and teach children to wash their hands after playing, before eating and if their hands are dirty. Many normal gardening activities will greatly lessen the chance of significant contamination i.e. digging and turning the earth and the composting of grass clippings and other vegetable matter. In situations where contamination of soil has occurred some eggs may remain infectious for up to three years, so simple hygiene measures should be followed to avoid potential risk.

Up to three years, take care. This is a tricky situation. Maybe containers above it or long term composting, or put a shed over it? Someone here mentioned losing an eye so that possibility should be taken seriously. (I`m sure they will contribute here)

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 18:39:07 »
Your right it is tricky. If the dogs fouling the area had the Toxacara parasite that affects humans, the eggs/cysts can survive six to seven years, and are particularly dangerous to children, where they swim around in the bloodstream until they lodge in the capillaries in the eye, where they grow and damage the retina, this can result in a blind spot in the child's vision, or worst case loss of sight. I speak from personal experience having lost sight in my left eye at age eight. Don't grow anything in it at all is my advice, use it to put your shed on.

Brian

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 18:51:41 »
Hi all, Thanks for that Brian,

Someone here mentioned losing an eye so that possibility should be taken seriously. (I`m sure they will contribute here)

See, I can tell the future  ;D

What about having the top six inches taken away? Burnt? soaked in Jeyes fluid?

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 19:19:53 »
Why not cover it with black plastic for a year to get rid of the weeds, then plant brassicas through cardboard? If you planned it right, you could grow crops without disturbing the soil at all for several years at least, until the danger was past.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 23:08:12 »
I'm with Col on this - get rid of the top layer however you can - it's too potentially dangerous to mess?! about with, if you're thinking of growing anything in the soil there. It might be a long/big job but it's only got to be done once.

How big is the area, anyway, vee?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 09:11:58 »
A bit of a wild card, but might the Council be willing to remove or detox contaminated soil for you? I found meeces chomping the wires in my attic, and the landlord alerted the Council rather than Rentokil, something to do with Vermin Control. Might be worth an enquiry?

sueparkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:52 »
How about a couple of apple trees with grass and bulbs under them - once the initial planting had been done (wearing gloves etc.), you wouldn't have to disturb the soil at all and it would be somewhere nice to put a deck chair in summer - maybe not this year but next year should be OK.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 10:02:56 »
Or you could have a comfrey bed or flowers to attract beneficial insects such as lacewings/ladybirds/etc.. That's probably what I'd do..

Melanie

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 10:37:09 »
A bit of a wild card, but might the Council be willing to remove or detox contaminated soil for you? I found meeces chomping the wires in my attic, and the landlord alerted the Council rather than Rentokil, something to do with Vermin Control. Might be worth an enquiry?

I really think it's worth a phone call about that - after all, it's an allotment for growing food, that you're talking about :o

Well done, Sprout!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 15:30:34 »
Thanks for all your answers, they definitely give me something to think about.

Alishka - the area is about 25 ft by 8ft so it's quite a chunk, although it is on a slope at the top of my plot.
I'm thinking now that I might clear it and make a bed, and then put in a green manure for this year. I've bought two packets of phacelia from King's seeds which I am going to try this year.
I've looked at the websites that columbus mentioned and it seems that it is the eggs of toxocariasis(sp?) which are harmful, but I don't fancy eating vegetables from it. I think fruit bushes/trees are the way to go, and I like the idea of comfrey - I've got some that needs moving.
Supersprout - the council are useless, and it would be a miracle if they did anything at all! But it's worth a try and I will do that.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:05:54 »
I would give the area a good dousing of Jeyes  fluid prior to digging and a dousing just prior to planting ,,Jim
Cheers .. Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal