Author Topic: Egg Advice  (Read 4544 times)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Egg Advice
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:58:42 »
I moved house about 4 weeks ago and the clever people before me had their garden gravelled - yep - the whole garden, except for beds down the side  ???  The chooks now, unfortunately are on a patio which I have put lots of straw on.  I realise it's still winter and they might not be laying as much but their egg production seems to have gone down even since moving and I don't think I've even had 1 egg in the last week.

So, I give them lots of leftover kitchen waste to try to supplement the fact they cannot dig around but are they just sad?

I know it's making me v. sad :(

Help!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Egg Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 11:42:39 »
The move and change in circumstances will have upset them for a while, and the time of year will not help matters though day length is increasing so they should recover soon.

In stead of straw in their run I would consider using wood chips, not chipped bark as this goes mouldy, as this wont rot down to a mush and dries out better and quicker.

My hens are in their winter quarters on the patio at the moment and they enjoy scraping about in the wood chip. They also get let out though to free range.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:53:05 »
I'd say the move has unsettled them, give them some time and I'm sure they'll be laying again soon.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 23:09:08 »
Oh bless its the move, and a change of living for them but they will come round. I use woodshavings and if you put some mixed corn or wild bird seed throw it in the run they will scratch around and admuse them selves.
may help them settle in and take their mind off their problems.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:44:05 »
I agree and think it will be the move that has got them all curfuffled. They'll need a little time to adjust.

What are you going to do with the gravel? Are you going to keep it or get rid of some of it?

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:19:43 »
Many thanks for your advice.  I was hoping that was the case.

I'm definitely getting rid of it.  Not only is it being used as cat litter by all the local cats (mine is still too much of a sissy to go out), but it is gravel, not pebbles and if my daughter plays in the garden in Summer then there will definitely be plasters needed on knees.

Anyway, I like to look out and see grass - think the OH could get used to not having to cut it though  ;)  Does anyone know if you can lay turf in Autumn? (not sure I will get round to removing all the gravel by spring turfing)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:21:57 »
Turf in autumn is fine, September/October. Infact it is one of the best times of year to lay it.

Jerry

Viks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 14:41:35 »
When we had to move ours inside as we were knocking down the old one and building a new one. They lived in the garage for 3 weeks!!! (Its a big double garage with a light) we gave them lots of cabbage and brussle sprout stalks and they loved them, we also got cheap white cabbage from the reduced bit in supermarkets and they pecked that and moved it round like a football. It lasted ages and gave them some fun as well as fresh food.

Vikki

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 17:42:50 »
Hmmm, the plot thickens....

Went down twice this pm this pm to check if there were any eggs and one of chooks was in nesting box the second time.  Opened it up and there was definitely an egg - with no shell at all that darn chook was pecking away at - revolting creature  ;).  Now - did said chook eat the shell too or was there some bizarre egg laying going on - are they still lacking something?  There was no shell left at all and come to think of it this happened a couple of weeks ago too.  I have seen one of them eat an egg before when it had broken but there were signs of shell then.

Help before they turn on eachother!  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 18:11:17 »
They're stressed for obvious reasons, and it's harming their ability to take up calcium. Be careful, they could soon become habitual egg-eaters. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/SoftShelledEggs.html

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 21:28:04 »
Was it a soft fully intact egg but with no shell?  We get one of those every so often.  Apparently it often happens when a hen is just coming into lay and also the last egg at the end of an egg laying period can be soft shelled. It has a membrane but no shell.

Once in a while is not a worry, so I've read, but if it is regular, additional grit may be necessary as it could be a calcium deficiency.

Egg eating is a habit a hen can get into once she's tried a tasty egg. You have to gather the eggs frequently to try to prevent the ability for the egg eater to get at the eggs.  I've heard about a trick,though it doesn't always cure them...

You get an egg from your hens,make a small hole in it and empty the insides . You then fill the egg with liquid that the hen will dislike. Make sure it is something non-poisonous...mustard with pepper for example.  You put this egg back into the hen house. The hope is the chooks will eat it and be put off eggs. You have to do this  for a few days or maybe a week or so.

Funny thing is I've been told about this trick before, but using it on dogs who pinch food off tables and plates. They are not supposed to be so keen to do it again when they get a mouthful of mustard and pepper!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 22:08:46 »
Pity we didn't know about that one when I was a kid. We had a dog who would climb through the hatch into the kitchen, grab something off the table, get out through the door, which opened into the living room, and be under the settee enjoying it before you saw what was happening.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:27 »
Thanks for the advice.  Not sure if the egg was soft shell or no shell as it had been totally eaten by the time I saw it.  I have had a couple of soft shell before so know what to look for.

Lay awake during the night worrying about it - how ridiculous is that  ::)

Might try extra grit before the mustard trick - although that's great advice.  Thought I was giving them plenty of extra greens but maybe it's not enough.  Will try anything really as I'm missing my eggs now.

Thanks

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 09:42:40 »
Make sure that you supply oyster shell rather than grit.

Grit is important for the digestion but will not supply much if any calcium. Oyster shell on the other had is packed full of calcium.

I supply my girls a mix of the two even though they free range and can pick up their own grit. They do eat a surprising amount of oyster shell.

I have a 25kg bag of the stuff so if you want I can send you some in the post.

Jerry

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 09:50:13 »
Ah Jerry, thanks so much for the offer.  ;D I have just called a local supplier and they sell it so I shall now skive off for 10 mins and get it.

Advice on this gratefully received from all  ;D

Any other dramas I will ask again no doubt  ::)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 16:45:43 »
Just thought I would update any of you who gave such good advice.

This pm there is 1 egg - now it could be coincidence as I only gave them oyster shell grit yesterday but I put it down to all the great advice  ;D

She had tried to break it as soon as she layed it as there are scratch marks all over it but hey - that shell was tough enough to take it  ;D

Thanks Guys

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 17:45:27 »
Good news Lazybones. You'll have to keep an eye on her !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal