Author Topic: onions again!!!!  (Read 4024 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
onions again!!!!
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:21:23 »
Brought some sets the other day, could i start them off in trays then move them on at a later date? do i keep them in a greenhouse? Thanks.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: onions again!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:19 »
Yes you could, I understand your eagerness but there is no rush. Planting them out anytime from mid March to the beginning of April will be fine.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 19:29:05 »
Thanks Gunnerbee, I was going to ask the same question!!

I have 700 onion sets I want to get in!!

I haven't put my shallots in yet cos it's been so cold, when do they have to be in by?

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 19:57:18 »
Not so much of being eager, just had a knee operation and wondered if i could start them in trays because i cant get out in the garden at the moment!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 20:07:58 »
You can plant them when the weather warms up a bit, no need to worry. Mine are going to sit in the shed till it's a bit less arctic.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 20:15:25 »
And Mothy - with that number, unless you want exhibition bulbs, plant them close together. Much more useful in the kitchen.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 22:40:16 »
One of our 'experts' swears that transplanted sets grow bigger than ones planted straight into the ground.

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 17:36:56 »
Tim,
Many thanks, exhibition sized onions are certainly not the intention. What spacing do you recommend? I hope to be able to store them in either nets or string them up, does size affect the storage properties of onions?

I lost some larger ones from last years crop that went rotten, most of the smaller ones have been great.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 18:02:19 »
Liking them small, I put them in about 3" apart.

Don't know, but I can believe that the smaller ones keep better.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 10:41:53 »
Hiya,

Has anyone grown onions from seed before... I have some 'Bedfordshire Champion' seeds but am wondering whether to sow directly into the ground or start in biodegradeable modules and plop these into the ground at a later date. Also if I start them from seed now will they mature and swell before the frosts come?

All ideas are welcome!

Jon

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 10:46:39 »
I like to put my shallots on compost on a seed tray so they start rooting prior to planting out as I find the birds have more trouble tugging them out of the soil.

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 12:59:21 »
I have red barron sown 2 weeks ago.  I sowed in a seed tray and then into modules when they are 2 inches tall.
seem to be alright.
have to be in the warm to germinate though.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 13:48:35 »
Hiya,

Has anyone grown onions from seed before... I have some 'Bedfordshire Champion' seeds but am wondering whether to sow directly into the ground or start in biodegradeable modules and plop these into the ground at a later date. Also if I start them from seed now will they mature and swell before the frosts come?

All ideas are welcome!

Jon

It is normal to sow onion seed early in the year, I started min of in January and they germinated at about 21 days. This is in a warm greenhouse in trays. They will get potted on soon and then into a coldframe prior to planting out.

If you sow them now they will be fine but just a little smaller than normal but some say the smaller onions store better than the large.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 15:51:37 »
Hiya,

All ideas are welcome!

Jon

Sowed my bedfordshire champ on the 13-02-2006 and will pot them on into a ' box ' in about two weeks and then plant out in April after hardening off.

Champs as of now, also the potting on crate and the onion dibber for when I plant out.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 16:22:35 »
Thanks for the pictures MikeB, they help a lot - especially the patent Onion Dibber, did you make it yourself? Love these patent devices lots, would love instructions if you have them ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 16:28:22 by supersprout »

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 16:43:51 »
What a good idea! Do you have multiple plates with different size dowels for different plantings?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 16:49:18 »
Hi SS,

It's a 12" x 12" piece of plywood, divided in a 4 by 4 grid i.e. 3" in all directions.  A handful of doweling plugs, drill 16 holes, hammer in dowels.  I use it for transplanting onions and for planting carrot seed.  For the carrot seed it's three seeds per hole, a bit tiresome, but saves thinning out and the risk of carrot fly later in the season.  If more than 1 seed germinates I snip off the weakest seed(s) with a pair of nail scissors.  I also have other ' dibbers ' on a 4" and 6" spacing.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 16:52:02 »
Thank you for the instructions mike  :D, will deliver them pronto to my son's friend who runs a school woodworking class. My those little fingers will be busy. This gadget will be the envy of the allotments, better get a new lock for the shed. Oh, better get a shed first  :-[ ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 16:55:15 by supersprout »

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 22:19:52 »
;)  Great idea :D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 21:47:30 »
What a terrific dibber Mike.....I'm gonna have to make one!!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal