Produce > Edible Plants

Damsons

<< < (2/2)

teresa:
Oh Eric

how I envy you.
I have been hunting for damson jam for dad he loves it on bread and butter for breakfeast.
not a sign of damsons around here in Kettering and even tried the farmers markets and nothing.
There is a tree on the next lottie to me but hardly any on it and havent seen the couple for ages think they have given up.
Teresa

Doris_Pinks:
Teresa, was up at friends just outside of Kettering last weekend, we went for a walk and came back with a bag load of blackberries!! (not damsons I know but the jam is lovely!) Saw masses of sloes on the trees and had mouthwatering thoughts of sloe gin later  ::)on...unfortunately we didn't have time to pick them as well, and they say round here they make better gin if they are picked after the first frost.
I have made some damson jam, someone offered me a bagload and not one to give up anything for free I made jam. Haven't tried it yet, and had never made it before, but it looks good! Hope you find some
Dotty P.

teresa:
Hi Dotty,

Yes blackberry jam is good and like you I dont say no.
if it comes free it always tastes better.
Damson has an unusal taste mum always made it every year she had the trees but since they moved to us and she passed away we have run out of the reserves. If you can buy the shop bought one it does not taste the same.
Never tried sloes, lots of plums around at the moment oh well just wait.
Teresa

Doris_Pinks:
Teresa sloe gin is fantastic and VERY easy to make! (If you drink that is!)  Shaken over ice......lovely. Let me know if you want the recipe.

teresa:
Hi Doris

yes I drink, would love the recipe. ;D
if you put it on the wine page then all can see it. ;)
thanks Teresa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version