Produce > Edible Plants

Damsons

(1/2) > >>

Palustris:
Tomorrow we pick the damsons. Not a bad crop, probably about  60+ kilograms, maybe more. Hard to know what to do with them. We are still eating last years jam and drinking the wine( not me I cannot drink alcohol) and there are still a few packs of puree in the freezer. Next year we will probably have none. It all depends on the frost in Spring.  Isn't gardening fun?
Eric

Colin_Bellamy-Wood:
Hi Eric, how about "Swap Shop"  ???

Palustris:
Hi, Colin, quick reply! I think it would be a bit hard to send Damsons through the post. THink of the juice dripping out of the envelope, and if The GPO(wahtever it is called now)was as quick as usual they would have either rotted, fermented or grown. Good point though. If anyone is driving past our house they are welcome to pick their own.
Eric.

allotment_chick:
Hi Eric
How do you do it?  My damson tree is about 8 years old - never had a crop from it.  Flowers beautifully, have seen fruit setting on it, but then......within a week.......ka-boom....nada!  Not even any evidence on the ground that the birds have been pecking the fruilets off.  Can you offer any suggestions?  I susoect my growing technique isn't all it should be  ???

Palustris:
Sorry, but we do absolutely nothing. The trees are either part of the hedgerow at the front of the garden (along with greengage, wild plums and sloes) or in the little wood which we have at the bottom of the garden. Here they grow in a mixture of broken glass, brick rubble, scrap iron and leaf mold. Underneath the trees are thousands of snowdrops. We only get a crop like this when the conditions are right in Spring. A late frost when the flowers are out and BANG! not a damson to be had in Autumn. Now this is a frost pocket (-8c in the greenhouse 2 years ago) so 1 year in 3 we get nowt. It could be that your tree is getting frost on the blossom. OR it may be young yet (our trees are very old). OR it may be that to get better pollination you need another damson tree nearby. OR it could be a lack of bees at the approprite time. None of which is much use to you, so once again my apologies. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version