Author Topic: wrinkly potatoes  (Read 3037 times)

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
wrinkly potatoes
« on: February 21, 2006, 20:47:18 »
The potatoes I have in store have gone soft and wrinkly, and have started sprouting. They've been in paper potato sacks in a frost free garage, which has a small window. I've always kept the tops closed properly after getting the spuds out. Does the sprouting mean that there is light getting through the paper?  Can anyone tell me the best way to store them for next year.

Sorry - meant to put this under Basics.
Who planted all these weeds?

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: wrinkly potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 21:38:09 »
Hi, I've had the same problem with the few I have left. I read somewhere that it's the time of year, i.e. they think they should be growing. Now hopefully, somebody with much more knowledge will come on here and tell us how those we buy are stored. I haven't yet had many good enough crops to last me much after Christmas, but it would be good to find out.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 17:03:04 »
I hope someone can help. The ones in the shops aren't like it, so there must be something better I can do.
Who planted all these weeds?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:13:53 »
The ones in the shops are probably sprayed? And held at 4-8C or whatever?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 15:35:53 »
It happens,the only thing I ever did was to check regularly and `rub out` the eyes as they formed.

Only new spuds are allowed on this diet (I am a type 2 diabetic-buggar >:()-so it`s not an issue for me now

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 20:59:51 »
It happens,the only thing I ever did was to check regularly and `rub out` the eyes as they formed.

Only new spuds are allowed on this diet (I am a type 2 diabetic-buggar >:()-so it`s not an issue for me now

Try leaving the ones for seed out in the light next year but kept cold as it is the darkness that gets them going and the long sprouts aren't a lot of good.  I am type 2 like you and need to watch my diet too but I am suspicious of the need to only eat new spuds and then only with their skins on.  The skins are supposed to slow down the absorption of the sugars by the body but when they are that thin and soon separate from the rest, I feel a strong pull on my leg.   ::)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 21:14:34 »
Don't let them touch each other while chitting, choose the most productive sprouting end and put it uppermost, keep 'em cool and in the light, (not direct sun) and worry not about the wrinkles.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 15:58:50 »
....... and worry not about the wrinkles.

Can you get organic Botox Ken?................  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal