Author Topic: News about Dennis.  (Read 2466 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
News about Dennis.
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:46 »
Don't worry it isn't sad.

On Friday afternoon we noticed Dennis had developed a limp. He wasn't at all happy about putting his left foot down. I had a look but couldn't see anything like a cut or a thorn. We decided to leave him until the morning to see if it would improve over night. I have to say I was more than a little concerned but played it down for my son's sake.

By Saturday lunchtime Dennis' limp was much more profound.  He didn't want to walk but when he did he was holding out his wing for balance.  OH phoned the vets,luckily a vet who knew about poultry was in that afternoon and would see Dennis asap. We suspect the bird flu thing enabled us to get in so quickly.  So back to the allotment we went with Spook's cat box.  We had some rice for the hens and were able to get them all in the pen including poor Den.  I scooped him up and kind've posted him into the cat box. He went in with no probs. Though I guess he kept his head down in embarrassment at the  bright pink box he was sitting in...in front of his ladies.

He sat on my son's lap in the car and we drove down to the vets,windows open because he is rather niffy.

Now you would have throught royality had arrived when we got there. Dennis was the star client of the afternoon. He reversed out of his box and stood on the table looking about as if he owned the place and that travelling about in a car was something he did on a regular basis.  The vet was very taken with him. the receptionist came in to see him and thought he was beautiful...even though he promptly pooped infront of her. "Dennissss!" 

The vet gave him a good examintion. She couldn't find anything in the foot or any signs of infection so checked for any breaks. Nothing. We couldn't get Den to walk for her but ofcourse everytime she went out of the room he did.  She thinks he has pulled something,a muscle or tendon whilst ambling around the garden. We think probably during one of his attempts to get friendly with one of the girls as he often misses and ends up in a heap whilst the hen makes a swift manoveure and gets out of there.

The vet gave him an injection of antibiotics and gave us some tablets to give him. Then is was back in the cat box and a niffy ride home. Dennis was not at all phased by the journey but as soon as we opened the gate to the lotty he was wanting out.  He got a load of corn for his good behaviour.

Sunday he looked much better. We had to give him half a tablet. It wasn't easy but we managed with a kind've blow pipe affair after trying with our fingers and getting no joy.  We penned all the hens up because Den is supposed to be resting his leg not charging around the garden. Haven't seen him today yet but I'm hoping for a big improvement. Got to give him another half a tablet. Don't think I can manage on my own so will have to wait 'til tea time I think.

Phew!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: News about Dennis.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 22:12:37 »
Imagining him reversing out of the box did make make laugh. ;D
Glad he's on the mend.

MM x

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 22:28:51 »
He's certainly a character, glad he's on the mend! :)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 23:01:00 »
Heldi, I've had a look at your website and surely your garden isn't big enough to have those chucks in, is it?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 11:03:34 »
No it isn't littlegem  :( . The hens are at my allotment. They've got stacks of room there and a big shed to sleep in!  Wish I could have them at home. Need a new house!!!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17:45 »
ahhhh poor Dennis, glad he's getting better :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal