Author Topic: Omlet  (Read 7395 times)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
Omlet
« on: February 19, 2006, 17:11:12 »
Hi there,

I have been wanting to keep a few chicks for a while now and whilst reading the threads on this site I went to 'Ask Jeeves' and seached for 'Keeping Chickens' and this website came up so i clicked on it and it's fabulous!

The Web Address is : www.omlet.co.uk

They sell a specifically made home for chickens and rabbits with thier own little run. They have been designed for people with small gardens.

Go and have alook on the site n see what you think. It has loads of useful information aswell.

Dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Omlet
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 18:00:20 »
Oh £350 OH would have a fit, but he is handy with wood etc.

Great for those who want instant chickens a compleat package interesting site will read more later many thanks.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 20:02:20 »
An interesting idea but the hens could not really stretch their legs could they. They would soon scratch up that small area.
Our 6 hens have a house about four feet by three by three feet with laying boxes. That is attached to an old aviary so they have room to move. They are then let out to free range during daylight hours. We do much the same with our three ducks.
I should say the garden is fenced against foxes but they are shut in at night anyway.

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 21:12:36 »
Hiya

Yer Teresa it is for instant Chooks! Ar those of a lazy variety, *ahem* Me *ahem* lol! I have about 2ft by 3ft piece of land in my back garden and i really want to keep chickens would this be an ok size to keep 3 chicks??

Can anyone fill me in please, also where is best to get a chicken house from or is it better to design my own?

HELP!!!!

Dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 21:19:56 »
With bird flu now in France I wouldn't have thought it was a good time to start. ???

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 22:38:11 »
With bird flu now in France I wouldn't have thought it was a good time to start. ???

Nor would I.  My OH is a bit more cautious than me but he keeps on about what we are going to do with our chickens.  He thinks it will only be a few weeks before it is over here and then all chickens will have to be housed indoors.   :( :(

Here is an extract from Times Online dated 16th Feb 2006. 

There are no plans yet for British poultry to be ordered indoors, an action already taken by France, Sweden, the Netherlands, Slovenia and in parts of Norway. Denmark called for flocks of more than 100 to be housed indoors, while Germany has ordered all birds to be locked inside from tomorrow. Switzerland and Belgium are planning similar action.

If you intend to go ahead Danny, I hope you have plenty of room indoors to keep them should it become necessary.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:36:52 »
What I saw on the news the chap (might have been from defra?) said that it is unlikely backyard poultry keepers would be required to keep their hens indoors as it's in most cases not practical. I don't think there'd ever be a good time to start, next year we'll be having the same discussions about bird flu just like we have been doing for the past few years, I don't see it as something that will go away just something we have to learn to live with. The omlet house and run would be very easy to give a solid roof so if backyard chickens were required to be housed under cover then it would be fairly easy to do. What is the definition of "indoors" in these cases, I thought it was a solid roof with meshed sides so that wild birds cannot come into contact with the chickens. In commercial operations this means inside barns because of the numbers and space needed, surely backyard chickens can have a much smaller structure i.e. run with solid roof.

Danny, I know a few people who have bought from omlet and they're very happy. Also all their hens that they supply have all the relevant vaccinations (not bird flu though).
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:01:37 »
Nice site. Enjoyed looking through the hen breeds.

I agree with Jesse about there possibly not ever being a right time to start.  If the preparations are done before hand incase of having to keep the hens undercover then I would say go for it.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:19 »
I have owned an Eglu for a year now and think it is a fantastic thing.  Great if you are a new starter and only want a couple of chooks for eggs but I wouldn't want to put more than 2 in it (or 3 of a smaller breed).  The run is adequate for them but have to say that in the evenings I let them out to scratch around in the garden (and ruin it) but this is not a necessity, just me being a softie.

I wouldn't start keeping chooks at the present time - although I'm sure bird flu is not going to be the big thing the 'experts' are saying it is better to be safe than sorry.  So just leave it a bit and see what pans out.

Happy chooking!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 11:17:44 »
(What is the definition of "indoors" in these cases, I thought it was a solid roof with meshed sides so that wild birds cannot come into contact with the chickens.)

As Jesse says above to make sure no bird even a wren can get through and  a solid roof so no poo gets into the run from wild birds passing over.

Our chickens can pick up other illness from our local birds its not juse bird flu. I use cider vinigar in there water this has an anit bact effect and works well and does not effect the eggs.

Do your homework, sound daft but do check .
with your local vet to see if they know anything about chickens. It cost me one hen and £30 to find out not one knew about chickens.

Read up on poultry illness, and what can go wrong with them.
Like all animals they need clean water, fresh food and clean housing.
I like cleaning with Jeyes Fluid, but there are other cleaners around.
Lice are a problem so puff them regulary also nest boxes and flooring being wood shavings or straw.

A happy healthy bird is head and tail up and cheerpy if it goes the other way something is wrong.
I think it will be more diffulcult to get birds if the bird flu comes but if you are prepared to look after them go for it.
Just remember if you go on hols someone has to look after them?
good luck

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 20:06:26 »
it is unlikely backyard poultry keepers would be required to keep their hens indoors as it's in most cases not practical.

I've read that somewhere too :)

MM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal