Author Topic: They are not Early's, they are mine..  (Read 1789 times)

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
They are not Early's, they are mine..
« on: February 18, 2006, 00:37:40 »
Came home and found a house full of grand-children.  Well, I thought.  lets get them calm.  Out came the Quality Street tin (thats a free plug if you wish to pay, multi-national...please;)), and then all the seed packets. 
What shall we sow then kids. 
This one Grand-dad, that one Grand-dad....lol
ok, ok, ok. 
In came the fold out potting table, a bag f seed compost and up to the back room ( still aint got my guitar room yet...lmao.)
A tray each, and 20 peas. Onwards these are.
Sieved the compost, firmed down. and sowed and watered the seeds.
As I wrote out the label. Karmen, my queen Bessie, asked, what are you writing Grand-dad.
I am writing the date and Early peas.
They are not Early's, they are mine..  >:(   >:(
So I have a tray of Karmen's peas and a tray of Tyrelle's peas
Don't you just love their wit.:)) :))
At least they will get interested in their food and maybe growing it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 00:40:47 by Celtic_Growers »
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: They are not Early's, they are mine..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:59:32 »
Oh what a lovely 'event' in your day C.G.....those peas are gonna be 'real special' ones (such unusual varieties  ;D) and tended with lots of TLC I bet!

love the photos.....what a great idea turning a 'spare room' - oooops sorry, prospective guitar room  ;) into an 'inside garden shed cum potting room'....wish I'd got a spare room  :'(

H.P.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 10:03:15 »
What a great thing to involve the children in.  It is going to be such a thrill for everyone when those seeds start  coming up.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:42:29 »
;D ;D ;D CG, lucky grandchildren. Will they be lucky enough to get their own spades and hoes for their next birthday?

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 11:02:56 »
Hello CG, I know the fun you have had the feast you will have when the peas grow.
Last year my youngest G.daughter, Elisha, was very sad that I wasn't growing carrots, because of previous failures due to carrot fly. I suggested she grew her own in a plastic storage box.
She had great success, which entailed the whole family coming for Sunday lunch,-twice, to eat them!
I would show you her pictures, only I don't know how to attach them!!
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 16:21:06 »
Nippie.....sorry for silly question - but roughly how big was the plastic storage box.....think it would be a great idea to give my 4 grandchildren each a box to sow their own carrots - they'd love it! - I'd rather give them that than an Easter Egg  - they get so many!

presume you put holes in bottom of box & some big stones for drainage then top up with ordinary general purpose compost??

H.P.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 13:56:03 »
Hello Hot-Potato, I bought a large plastic storage box approx 2ft x1ft from a cheapy sell everything shop (about £2). As you say we drilled some holes in the bottom filled it with multipurpose and watered regularly.
I'm well impressed and will certainly be doing it again this year.
Give it a go, as you say much better than Easter eggs. It keeps the kids occupied  gives them an interest and encourages them to eat their veg, nothing like home grown.
Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 14:01:11 »
Nippie, thanks - we have a cheapo shop here in our local precinct and I think this is a brilliant idea - I suppose a packet of radish as well as the carrot would be fun for them to try too.....they could try a row of each ;)

wonder what else could be grown in a box this size - especially that appeals to children ?

Suggestions please anyone?

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 14:13:18 »
I also tried to grow some salad leaves in one, but then I went on holiday and when I came back they had all bolted. They looked very pretty though :)
I guess you could do tomatoes, lettuce or radishes as you say, what about runner beans in a "wigwam".

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 21:07:28 »
Youngest Grand daughter is now getting in on the act.

Though I think the shake it, it rattles effect is more what she is interested presently....lol
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 22:56:12 »
that how it all started with my kids mummy where do potatoes come from (ill show you potato out the kitchen into a bucket and now iv got more seeds in my bedroom,living room,bathroom,tham b and q  but the one good thing is when there board they plant seeds calms them down and makes them sleepy if i can ill  put up my picks of all the seeds

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 23:24:23 »
Hi,  I remember my grandfather fixing 'pea sticks' and 'bird nets' over his peas, and grumbling very loudly when I and my cousins entered the house.   It was years and years later that I understood that the 'set up' was to enable my siblings and cousins to eat our fill of peas and soft fruits.......one of the best memories of my life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal