Author Topic: When to move/replace a pond  (Read 2150 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
When to move/replace a pond
« on: February 17, 2006, 23:43:15 »
Forgive me if I've missed similar posts, but my problem is this: I need a bigger pond to accommodate all the wildlife that seems to want to be there, but the only space I've got is where my existing one is. The main reason I ask is because I'm not conviced that there isn't a frog hibernating in there, and I want to cause minimal upset. There's usually some frogspawn appears in March, which will then be too late. Any suggestions would be gratefully received (I'm in Yorkshire, and therefore a month behind the majority).
Thanks in advance.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
Re: When to move/replace a pond
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:41:48 »
They say the best time to clean out old ponds is in the Autumn before hibertation starts.  So I guess the same applies if you want to replace the pond you now have.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 22:25:23 »
Hi Geoff.I think there is a strong possibility you will have more than one frog!!We renewed our wildlife pond about 4 years ago as we too wanted to make it deeper and wider.I think it would be a very good idea to do it next month before the plants and amphibians get going.Just make sure you have as many receptacles lined up as poss and save all but the worst of the mud and gunge.Certainly all the water if you can.A water butt full of rain water or water left to settle is also a good idea for refilling or,failing that,treat the tap water with dechlorinater

A messy job,but very rewarding when you see all your hard work resulting in a bigger and better pond.Obviously the best time is after you have had some rain so that the ground is easier to dig,but if you have already dug one before then you will know that!! Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Margaret

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 13:45:19 »
or you could always think about getting one of those cheap paddling pools for temporary storage of things you wanted to move across.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 17:40:03 »
We had the same problem, but we ended up building a second more ornamental pond instead. Quite handy now as we can transfer stuff from one to the other when cleaning out etc.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 10:15:06 »
Thank you all. I have a bit more to work on now. The pond and contents are totally dormant now, but last year's frogspawn appeared mid-March, so I reckon I would be cutting it fine to do anything before then. I like the paddling pool idea though, but building a second pond, ideal in theory, would mean uprooting the comfrey and half the herb garden. At this moment, the herbs have it.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 20:20:56 »
If you live in, or anywhere near, Manchester I have a nice paddling pool which is free to a good home should you want it.  Used just once when extending my pond last year!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 20:34:07 »
Thank you Anthony for the offer, and sorry for the delay in replying. I'm near Bradford, so not too far away. If I can possibly find the time for a trip to Manchester I'll let you know, either on here or by MSN. Thanks again.

Geoff.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 22:34:14 »
No worries,  I'm actualy "top" side of Manchester i.e Oldham.  Just give me a shout if you do decide you could make use of it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal