Author Topic: How Much Have You Spent On Seed For The Year  (Read 11931 times)

Meg

• Acre
Re: How Much Have You Spent On Seed For The Year
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2006, 15:16:16 »
But how much have you saved by not paying shop prices for second/third/ hand produce. I had some chard/spinach last night freshly picked. Pickled beetroot n onions. Still hav frozen raspberries and some great soup in freezer!!!! Plus not paying to go to a gym. I think Lottie world is maybe cheaper than we think.
Marigold

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 10:52:49 »
i was horrified. i added it all up and including £15 on fruit bushes and vines, it comes to more than £40. I'm sweating about where I'm gonna put it all :-[
I will finish it, one day

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2006, 09:41:10 »
Do not care how much I spend on seed etc.  Just love to garden and if you get pleasure out of it that is ok by me, plus where else can you get a good sun tan with out going on holiday.

;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2006, 19:33:25 »
When I started this thread, I was just trying to get a rough avgerage on the spend that we collectively spend.
As Richard says so well
Do not care how much I spend on seed etc.  Just love to garden and if you get pleasure out of it that is ok by me, plus where else can you get a good sun tan with out going on holiday.

Also pointed out was that a packet of seed may have 200-300 seeds and thats enough for 2-3 seasons generally. 
I increased my buget by buying 20 aparagus plants today, but over 15-20 years, it is nothing. 
Adding in other costs, like rent, tools, sheds, big one off items, like a Mantis etc.  we as a group spend a very large amount of dosh.
We also help with the enviroment, with recycling and encouraging wildlife.
I can say without doubt, that our pleasure always outwieghs any monetary value.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2006, 20:49:21 »
I have wondered whether to actually reply, as I have to admit to what I have spent - compared to many of you... (over £300) this includes seeds, potatoes, onions, garlic, quite a few unusual veggie plants from Edulis, fleece, canes, fertiliser, poly "cloche", cherry tree, etc, etc...)  I have more to get during this year - mesh, strawberries, asparagus, make some tunnel cloches ...

However, seeing as quite a few packs will last more than one year (Hessayon book gives standard shelf life) and that I gave up my gym membership (£390/year) and I hope to be self sufficient in vegetables for most of the year (prob c.£800/year) and I hope to sell at work for a small cost a few extra plants/seed potatoes  (I already have some people asking for some at planting time) so all in all, I will be far better off. at the end of the year...  Anyway that's the aim.  I have already lost weight, I love being outdoors (esp when  it's cold) and am already happier.  Fruit and veg costs a fortune in the shops and I should be a lot healthier this year ;D

(luckily I inherited a lot of raspberry canes and 2 gooseberry bushes on my plot, which bumps up the raspberries at home and I have just been given a couple of rhubarb corwns)

mat

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2006, 08:39:21 »
about £10 in half price seeds from wilko, but i am 'between plots', i expect this amount to increase exponentially in the next few weeks! (just don't tell my husband)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal