Author Topic: wanted - Incubator  (Read 1920 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
wanted - Incubator
« on: February 16, 2006, 21:46:32 »
Hi has anyone got an incubator for sale? We would like a Brinsea hatchmaker which I believe holds about fifty hen eggs. We prefer the non automatic turning model.
That said we will consider what you have to offer be it auto-turn or smaller.
We will make a donation to this site on purchase.
Ivor

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: wanted - Incubator
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 16:18:11 »
why not build one i did last year and it worked a treat just a couple of  bulbs and a dimmer switch in a poly box
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 16:14:48 »
i've just been looking at incubators, didn't realise how expensive they were  :o.
Can you tell me how u made yours nad how did you get the humidity? would like to raise birds froms eggs as it is much cheaper, and only want do do it a couple of times so i dont see the point in paying alot of money for a proffessional incubator. Any help much appreciated   :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 19:41:09 »
Hi little gem
we had a new Hatchmaker years ago and it was very good. I am not keen on home made as if you get it wrong with the heat or the humidity the chicks can hatch deformed and I woul dnot risk that.
We normally would buy new but with all the fuss over bird flue we are not going to at the moment as we could get over-run with chicks in a few months.
Perhaps that brown hen of ours will soon go broody again. I expect she will be a bit surprised when her chicks go quack :)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 20:26:15 »
the way i built mine was simple really a poly box about 18 inches square a thermostat off a imersion heater  two ceramic lamp holders and a dimmer switch
then a bit of testing with bulbs and humidity via a bowl of water filled with sponges a decent thermometer and hygrometer ( humidity meter) i know its only a simple device but it works and just today i have hatched a brood of chicks with it  11 marans
set ur  temp to aprox 37.5 -38.5 and no higher definatly no higher then 40 or u will kill the hatch in a very short time rather under heat slightly than over heat and turn eggs at least three times a day untill three days befor hand then stop turning and try to increase humidity to about 70%with i larger surface area of water but remember a chick can easly drown if it fall into water so take precausionsi cover the water tank with old tights so they cant fall in  i hope this works for anyone giving it a go i has for me and its quiet good to create life with so simle a device as a bulb and time
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal