Author Topic: Leggy sweet peas  (Read 7644 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Leggy sweet peas
« on: February 16, 2006, 13:55:10 »
Some of the sweet pea seedlings on my windowsill are getting a bit leggy and falling over. Should I plant them out?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Leggy sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 14:21:52 »
Hi all,  :D
                DO NOT plant them out they will not grow away just yet. You need to get brutal with them :o , pinch out the top growing point with your fingers,  you may need to reduce them by 25cms (1 inch in old money)  They will then bush out by sending out shoots from lower down. Can you put them in a cold frame outside? they will be fine out there.
                          Adrian.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 14:32:41 »
Yes, pinch out the tops by a lot if necessary, this will cause them to bush out inot healthier Boxing plants rather than sprinters!

David K

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 14:49:54 »
Yes, it's the windowsill environment that is making them leggy, they need to be in a cold-frame or cold greenhouse.

They are hardy, but not hardy enough to be in the open ground for another month. (depending where you live)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 15:04:16 »
As a strict rule thats true but last year one of my teepee's of sweetpeas survived the snow outdoors! I still wouldn't risk planting them though! Dan :-)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 18:24:11 »
My self seeded ones manage OK through the winter and pop up when they're ready, but do as advised above for new seedlings...pinch and protect for the time being.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal