Author Topic: Obbelix's garden  (Read 3859 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Obbelix's garden
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 17:09:05 »
RB - As with many other things, the Koran is open to interpretation by whomever reads it and dispenses its wisdom.   Some take avoiding the vine to mean all alcohol.  Others don't.   You are clearly not acquainted with the drinking habits of rich Arabs in London clubs.

Ken - that bull was very threatening when he first arrived in late April.  His predecessor had been very friendly and like d to have his head rubbed.  This one was very quick to voice his objections to  our being oout in our garden.  By September he had calmed down but it was the first week of November before he let OH scratch his head and the next day he was carted off to his winter barn.  I hope he remembers us as friendly and not a threat when he comes back this spring.

Mr Rotivator - Got you! and I will look out for a leaping salmon.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 18:51:15 »
I am, but they wouldn't be regarded as good Muslims! No religion should be judged by its more nominal adherents. I think you'd be hard put to it to find anyone regarded as an authority on Sharia taking that view.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 20:14:08 »
You are clearly not acquainted with the drinking habits of rich Arabs in London clubs.

or on their own home soil either .......... but we digress from the beauty that is your garden Obbelix.

truely an inspiration.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 20:35:55 »
Mrs KP - Thank you.  I'm pleased you like it.   I had been getting a bit down about it all as winter is likely to drag on another monthe here and then the weeds will go whoosh even faster than the real plants and I will be playing catch up again.   All the positive feedback I've had has made me feel much better about it.

Robert B - I think you're missing an essential point.  I do not really care how Muslims interpret their Koran as long as they do not expect me or anyone else to live by their interpretation.   The same goes for any other religious or political persuasion.

I expect people to show tolerance, especially in multi-cultural societies where freedom of thought and expression are the norm but require respect for and from everyone else for such freedom to work.

If your Muslim friend wants a bottle wall he can always do it with pop bottles, just as long as I can do mine with wine bottles without being judged as sinning for it.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 21:39:00 »
Of course, and since Islamic law only applies to Muslims, they might disapprove but that would be as far is it went. Only problem is, I'm married to the lady in question. Alcohol in her house is greatly disapproved of! I do sneak an ocasional bottle, but if I do it too often I get accused of being an alcoholic.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 16:04:05 »
Speaking of 'peckers - I like the fat-ball holder!!

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 22:46:42 »
Hi obbelix,
Just viewed pics, your garden and the surroundings are magical. Well done!

:)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 09:09:53 »
stunning garden & surroundings
love the bottle wall ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 10:59:09 »
Thank you all.  The fat ball holder was a new thingy on sale a couple of years ago.  I bought two but haven't seen them since and would like a couple more.  They're wonderful because I can get 5 fat balls in each and the 'peckers can hang on to them.  At the moment I have to refiill both every 48 hours and the 4 nut feeders every 3 to 4 days plus a seed dispenser and the ground feeders' trough.

I'm really pleased with the bottle wall.  It was a free solution to provide a low retaining wall and was very easy to construct.  No skill whatsoever except the first straight line and a bit or mortar to hold the stone ends in place.

Now I'm collecting magnums and Jeraboams for a future water feature.
Obxx - Vendée France

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 11:58:11 »
Care to share a glass of champagne?  :D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 13:26:17 »
Maybe a bottle!!