Author Topic: Obbelix's garden  (Read 3860 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Obbelix's garden
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:58:46 »
It's taken a while but I have finally mastered the technology.  This is my garden through the last 12 months.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obelixxbe/my_photos

Hope you like it.  There's still plenty to do.
Obxx - Vendée France

sueparkin

• Not So New ...
Re: Obbelix's garden
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 13:52:00 »
Wow - what a beautiful garden! I'm so jealous!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 14:07:42 »
Thanks Sue.  It's been a hard slog converting it all from cow pasture so I'm pleased with its progress.  Still have lots of projects to complete and some new ones to consider, finances permitting and OH willing........and I also rejig bits every year as some plants inevitably are lost each winter.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 14:57:40 »
Beautiful garden Obbelix  ;D I think that any gardener worth their salt will say that their garden is never finished ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 15:18:23 »
Wow !!! What a lovely garden Obbelix.  You have obviously put a lot of work into it to get it as good as that and the crowning glory... those two woodpeckers.   :D :D

Oh my, I am so envious.

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 15:31:01 »
hi
what a beautiful garden, and your two woodpeckers are magnificent, ( i haven't seen mine again :()
Thanks for sharing :)

Pakaba
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 16:13:33 »
What you need now, is a few chickens!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 16:44:19 »
We have been doing the same thing and the work which goes into making a garden like that is worth it when you see the end result. Fun though! Lovely to see.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 16:49:20 »
Stunning!  And such wonderful views!  I do envy you peeps who are surrounded by countryside so the garden goes on and on!

What I do want to ask Obbelix is, who drunk all that wine to build the wall, or did you raid a bottlebank??

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 21:19:21 »
Obbelix. Wonderful garden. I have really enjoyed looking at each and every pic. Thankyou

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 21:44:36 »
Thank you all.  I'm glad you liked them.  Most people here think we're a bit weird - me for getting excoited about a plant and OH for indulging me.  He likes the garden to be interesting but still can't tell a weed from a treasure.  Good for digging and turning compost heaps though.

Emma Jane - the bottle wall was easy and we didn't have to be permanently pickled to get enough bottles.  When we came to Belgium in 1991 we were pleased to find that Oz and NZ wines could be found fairly easily but, unlike French wine, the supermarkets didn't take the bottles back.  There were very few bottle banks around so we hoarded them as I had had a bottle wall in mind for some time.  Then we bought this heap and voila!  I needed a low retaining wall that could double as seating and the bottles came into their own and by then ex-pat friends were donating their empties too.

Every single male, including my OH, thought the idea of a bottle wall was absolutely ludicrous but there it is, having survived several years of deep winter freeze and baking summer sun and there is no "glue" except to secure the recycled marble slabs which form the seat.   I'm very pleased with it and can recommend them as a project.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 23:56:15 »
I can just imagine how Namissa, who's a devout Muslim, would react to that idea!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 07:23:18 »
i am in awe.  a wonderful garden.  well done you.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:57 »
Fantastic, and what a lot of love and hard work gone into it, I suggested doing a bottle wall once, and the look of horror on OH's face put me off! But yours looks fab! (we probably wouldn'y have to beg, borrow or steal bottles either, :-[ and would save trips to the bottle bank! ;D)
Well done you!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 09:57:33 »
Thank you for all the encouragement.  Like many gardeners I tend to look at it too closely and see what needs doing rather than sitting back to enjoy the overall effect.  The process of putting it into a year's sequence has been very good for me.  I can recommend it for anyone who's feeling a bit disheartened with winter.

R-B - You don't have to drink to get the bottles for a wall and Muslims have no interdiction on beers and spirits, just the fruits of the vine.
Obxx - Vendée France

David K

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 10:20:45 »
Wonderful garden, a 'Leaping Salmon' climbing rose growing over your obelisk would look great.  ;)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 11:01:03 »
What a wonderful garden, very well kept- fab!  ;D I expect there is a lot of upkeep, worth it though!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 12:13:21 »
Love those deep mature looking borders - great height effect.  Brightened my day.

Thanks
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 12:26:38 »
R-B - You don't have to drink to get the bottles for a wall and Muslims have no interdiction on beers and spirits, just the fruits of the vine.

There may be liberal interpretations of Islamic law that allow beer and spirits, but if so I've never come across them; the general view is that all alcohol is totally forbidden.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 13:52:29 »
Fantastic Ob...you done well......BRILLIOSI....that BULL..and looks so  close to OH...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal