Author Topic: Pseudo Allotment exhibition  (Read 3612 times)

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
Pseudo Allotment exhibition
« on: December 31, 2005, 18:25:07 »
Has anyone the experience of creating an exhibition at their local busy Market to promote Allotmenteering?
As part of our Primary Care Trust (PCT) Festival of Health in May, I suggested to our Allotment Federation that we attempt to re-create an allotment around a display stand for 3 Sat's in May by each Allotment providing two or thee black flower buckets of varying product totalling a max of 50 buckets.   Hopefully product can be forced in heated greenhouses.   The stand would have a display board with photos and fact sheets.   
Having made the suggestion, typically, I got the job of organising it!   
The Disabled Gardeners have been invited to display flowers plantings.
I know that we cannot emulate Manchester's (etc) week long re-creation in St Anne's Square, which by the way was incredibly good, but perhaps we might come reasonably close.   The object of the exercise would be to energise an erstwhile apathetic and unfit public.

If anyone has had any experience of doing something similar and can point out any pitfalls to avoid, or ideas that can be exploited, we would be grateful to you.   Thank you in anticipation.
Every best wish, Colin.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Re: Pseudo Allotment exhibition
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 10:29:46 »
Hi Colin,

Our local agricultural college grow turf on pallets ahead of shows to provide a base. I think they line the tops of the pallets with stapled black plastic. You might get turf or plants growing on top which can then be stacked and taken to show stands.  A cane pyramid for runner beans or sweat peas would also be transportable if made up on a base plate.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:31:58 »
Hi Colin, Wishing you a Happy 2006.  During the Tall Ships Race last year (seems funny saying that already), Newcastle Allotments held a display on the Quayside amongst all the others.  They had a very small mini allotment set out and people manning a stall with various leaflets to be had.  I thought it was very attractive and seemed to create quite a bit of interest.  They have a Web Site it you want to Google, and I feel sure they will have a contact there.  Sorry I haven't copied it here, ( I have just got up and still feeling a bit dozy).   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 17:03:29 »
First, thank you Columbus for your idea - it's a good one.   However, as the exhibitions will be in May, there might not be much growth for runner beans.   I don't think I even put my runner beans into the ground until the end of May.   Even forcing them in a heated greenhouse will be leaving things to chance.   However, it's an idea to put on the shelf in case we ever get to do an exhibition later in the year.   I really do like that one.

Second, thanks Busy Lizzie, Happy 2006 to you too!   I'll try to find that website and see what they have got to offer, thanks for the tip.   I'd like to re-create an allotment, but having seen the one in Manchester which was on for a week, I know we haven't the resources to emulate them.   So I really have to keep things simple.  However, from little acorns..... and all these ideas are very useful.   

Many thanks to both of you for replying.
Every best wish, Colin.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:27:17 »
ooops I skipped over the May part, thinking of plants, pallets and transport. May is very early for an allotment show. In Norwich the council hold one the begining of september which is too late. July-August would be better.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 19:22:43 »
Yes, May is an awkward Month, but it is one chosen by the Primary Care Trust.   I am hoping that we can force product in heated greenhouses.   The local Council nurseries have a superb heated greenhouse, and I've asked if I can have a corner in there.   But I haven't had a reply to my plea yet.
Every best wish, Colin.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 12:59:36 »
Hello there
I would consider contacting your recycling dept at your local council, they may be able to help ref composting (they also are in receipt of greater funds which indirectly can assist you!)
Also have a chat with your local parks dept, they might be able to assist.  Put up some signs at your local Allotment Plots, you might find that some of the allotmenteers will help with ideas .........
Education other than school (EOT @ government initiative) where they utilise young people unable to attend schools/colleges ~ they often have areas that they tend.....
Good Luck!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 17:10:50 »
Hi everyone.   Well we displayed last Saturday at Ashton Market and it went like a dream.   We had a marching military band next to us that drew the crowds, and the team reckon about 100 people visited the stand.
The PCT have provided plenty of promotional items, so have NSALGs and our Northern NSALG Representative.   We approached the Recycling Dept and got give-aways on composting and in the same office, the Flytipping Dept gave me leaflets too.   Our Parks Dept let me have four A1 map of the Borough, mounted on strong boards, which showed every allotment.   The Borough Nursery let me have space in their heated greenhouse, and my broad beans went wild.
Best of all, those that have manned the stand have had a superb day, and are coming back for more.   
Whilst in the Council Offices, I bumped into the Britain in Bloom Manager, and when he heard what we were up to, he has told me to be available for the Area, and the National Inspections in July and August.
A more full report will be sent later in the year to be published in the Allotment and Leisure Garden Magazine.
Thanks for those that gave advice earlier.
Every best wish, Colin.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 22:18:14 »
That sounds absolutely brilliant Colin!! So glad it was such a success and well done you, for all the hard work you must have put into it.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal