Author Topic: Country Lore!  (Read 1798 times)

digswell

• Not So New ...
Country Lore!
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:11:19 »
I have an old book at home full of 'useful' country lore connected to gardening.

An appropriate one at the moment is when planting peas do so with teh moon waxing rather than waning, apparently peas will grow better if planted after a new moon than after a full moon, something to do with the pull of the moon!
 :-\
Personally I have tried it and not noticed any difference as peas are something I struggle to grow anyway!

myrtle

• Half Acre
Re: Country Lore!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:49:13 »
I do a lot of my gardening according to the moon's phases.  The theory is that as the moon influences the water around us, so it can aid the growth (or not) of plants, or any other living thing. The waxing moon is the time for sowing and planting stuff that produces above the ground and the waning moon for root crops and onions. 
There are of course a few more elements to lunar planting like whether the moon is in Aries (good for fruit) or Taurus (good for roots) etc.
I was planning on sowing celeriac, beetroot and onion seed today but as it is a leo fruit day and a full moon to boot, I shall leave it and transplant some toms instead!  :)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 13:20:31 »
This is an interesting area, I've been doing a bit of reading on it. This is an interesting link:

http://www.biodynamic.org.uk/FAQ.htm

Country lore in general is interesting, accurate a lot of the time without knowing the reason why...but I suppose it didn't matter in those days as long as it worked. Just because we don't know how something works, doesn't mean that it doesn't. Did that make any sense at all or shall I get me coat?!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

digswell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 23:22:03 »
Thanks for the comments, as I work through the year I will post some more of the bits and bobs that come along. 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal