Author Topic: Emergancy please help  (Read 8333 times)

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Emergancy please help
« on: February 11, 2006, 18:13:39 »
One of my chooks has taken ill. I changes the food last week from an organic pellet to a normal one  and mixed them with a corn feed.
I have 7 chickens but one is ill. It has its feathers on the back of its neck missing it is lethargic and it looks bloated , not happy. what can I do.

All the other chickens are happy and fine.

Is she egg bound??

Any help and advice appreciated hope she lasts until tomorrow.

Many thanks

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Emergancy please help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 20:58:40 »
Alan,
I don't think the problem is anything to do with the fact that you have changed their food. 

The chicken with the feathers missing on the back of its neck was probably pecked at by the others.  If a chicken feels unwell, the others sense there is something wrong and often attack the poorly one. 

Are you sure that your chicken is not just moulting?

Do you have a cockerel amongst your chickens?  The reason I ask is that they grab the females by the back of the neck when mating and can cause feather loss.

I would isolate the poorly hen until you can find out what is wrong.  At least that way she won't be attacked by the others.

Can you give more information on the hen, for example age, breed, if she is able to walk, whether she stays in the nest box all day and if she is able to fly up to her perch etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 21:00:41 by Paulines7 »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 21:44:30 »
Is she still eating and going to the toilet? Keep her warm and apart from the others like Pauline suggested.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 21:57:40 »
thank you Paulines& and Jesse.
She is a Hy-bread Buttercup about 32 weeks old. She is very immobile and finds it difficult to walk due to her size . I have examind her and she is very bloated down below with a lot of water retention , she didn't make a fuss whilst I was examining her but she must be uncomfortable. I don't know if she is still pooing or eating as I haven't yet made up a quarantine area for he. What would you suggest in the way of treatment if any. :'( :'(.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 22:18:29 »
I don't have much experience with sick chickens yet Alan, if no one here can help perhaps you should try the practical poultry forum, there's loads of experienced poultry keepers there who might be able to help, they have a poultry clinic section on the forum. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I hope she'll be okay.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 23:40:05 »
My cockerel Dennis was very poorly a few weeks back. He lost feathers around his neck,he couldn't be bothered,stopped crowing and was hunched up. We thought he was a goner to be honest.  What we did was give him about a 5ml dose of olive oil,held him upside down and massaged his croup. A few bits of stuff dribbled out. Apparently the croup can become compacted if chooks don't take in enough gravelly stuff. If it does get compacted it makes for a very dejected and sorry looking hen.The next day we gave Dennis a dose of cod liver oil and did so every day for about a week. About 5 ml. We also put some,a couple of glugs for 15 hens, in the all hen's food or water. Dennis looked better within a couple of days but it took about a fortnight for him to be strutting about and crowing again. 

If you can,try to look down your hen's throat. You sometimes can see if there is anything stuck. It might stink a bit too.

Have looked in my chook book about a hen being egg-bound.  A hen which is egg-bound will sit on the nest alot of the time but not produce an egg.  Usually it will be a pullet producing her first egg. Medicinal liquid paraffin can be applied to the vent to help or cooking oil !  I guess I would use olive oil. Separate the hen and she should lose her egg the same day or next day. According to the book.

I can't find anything which relates to a hen being bloated. 

Sorry I'm not much help. I'm pretty new to this also. Hope your hen recovers Alan,it's horrible when you just don't know what to do for the best.

Oh...have you thought about worms? Could be something worth looking into. A hen with worms will be lethargic and unwell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 23:43:48 by Heldi »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 20:25:15 »
any news on your hen Alan?

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 14:38:05 »
Hi everyone. Just to keep you up to date.
I took her the  vets this morning he reckons she is egg bound as he can feel one inside. He has suggested that we should steam her, put her in warm baths and raper up apparently the moisture steam and soaking will relax her inside which should help her pass the egg. Hopefully. If not it could be the chop.
She is inside in the house next to the radiator. The only problem is she smells even after a bath everyday. She must be bunged up as she isn't pooing properly and when she passes water it smells. The vet gave her some antibiotics th help her. She is eating and drinking and looks fairly bright in herself.

Hers hoping for a happy ending.

Thank you all for you help and advice if you think of anything else I should try let me know.

Best wishes

Alan

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 15:53:03 »
:-[

Am a "wannabe" chicken person and have been reading this thread but have no expertise to offer!! I hope your bird recovers Alan!! I feel quite fond of her, it must be very uncomfortable for her...fingers crossed.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 16:02:01 »
Alan, I did an internet search on egg bound hens and found a poultry site that suggests that you sit the bird in a bowl of hot soapy water for 30 minutes.  The article can be found at
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/discussion/ReadMessage.asp?MessageSel=2543&thestart=0&ForumSel=PoultryHealth

MikeB

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 18:35:48 »
Alan, best of luck, I hope it all turns out well, please keep us posted on her progress.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 18:48:30 »
Alan,how is she doing?

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 08:48:19 »
Thanks Mike for the info. its spot on she really does stink.
She had several baths yesterday bur no egg yet. Will try her for longer time is a soapy bowl. Don't fancy the finger thing so lets hope the soap works.

Can I thank everyone for their concerns will keep you posted.

Regards

Alan & Buttercup ( thats her chicken)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 15:37:57 »
Why not try a few drops of cod-liver oil? Egg bound and constipation go together. The oil will help.

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
Re: Buttercup has gone to chicken heaven
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 13:36:52 »
Hi everyone just an update for you.

After trying several hot baths , olive oil and everything else for the past week or so. I took the dissision to let Buttercup go to chicken heaven.

She has been kept in the house since i noticed she was ill next to the radiator in the bathroom. On Saturday whilst it was hot and sunny I let her go outside on the grass, she could hardly stand and she was getting thin due to not eating a lot. it was then when I made my decision . I used the knock on the head technique as I felt it would be less distressing for her as well as myself. It worked instantly which was a relief.
She now rests under a newly planted cherry tree in the garden.
 :'( :'( :'(.

Thank you for your comments.

RIP Buttercup.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 13:56:52 »
Alan, that must have been a hard decision for you.  I have been following the thread and really felt for you but know nothing at all about chickens so couldn't help!  At least she is not suffering now.  Poor both of you.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 14:13:10 »
:'(

This is why I dont have chickens...really sorry Alan, but sure you made the right decision.

R.I.P Buttercup indeed

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 15:33:08 »
Awww so sorry to hear that Alan, I'm sure you made the right decision though.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 17:54:48 »
Sorry about your Chicken, have only just come across your post. All the best, Dan :-)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 22:00:08 »
So sorry to hear about Buttercup, Alan.  You did as much as you could for her and I think you took the right decision.   :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal