Author Topic: Help with black plastic sheets  (Read 1824 times)

Chief

• Not So New ...
Help with black plastic sheets
« on: February 12, 2006, 15:42:50 »
Hi All, this as probably been asked many times but what is the best type of black plastic sheeting to put down to deter weeds and to be able to make slits into to grow veg through (ie potato's etc).As previously reported mine is a new lottie full of brambles etc which I am slowly managing to clear,but due to health problems the old digging bit has to be taken slowly and I am aware that planting time is fast approaching.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: Help with black plastic sheets
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 16:27:00 »
im no expert but i used builders  black plastic sheeting on my  very over grown plot last season and its worked a treat the one i got was 4 meters by 25 meters on a roll and its quite thick and is still in very good nick but as i see it anything that restricts the light is ok and will weaken  weeds in time
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 17:05:24 »
I'm planting my potatoes underneath black heavy duty membrane...the type that is put down on paths with shingle etc., on top. It lets the rain through to the plants but blocks out the light. Did this with cardboard last year....but was a hell of a palaver. Hope this helps :)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 16:47:42 »
Turn your compost bags inside out!

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 16:53:12 »
i used light plastic as the weeds wont stand a chance once the tatties get going.
the membrane stuff is ok as it lets water permeate through but a bit expensive once you start cutting slits to let the pots through.
peterpiper

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 19:19:45 »
Got mine as a christmas prezzie 45yds of it....should last a a few years, most of my beds are the same size ;D for my birthday I'm getting bark chippings!!!!! God I know how to live!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 20:10:46 »
Thanks everyone I new I could count on you all for sound advice - chief

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:37:11 »
If your ground is reasonably well dug then thick layers of newspaper or cardboard seem to do just as well as black plastic for 'plant-thru' treatment. I didn't believe it until this year but am a convert. The trick seems to be to weigh the card/newspaper down with a good 2" of organic mulch, everything rots down, and you plant through it like black plastic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:30:52 by supersprout »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 10:16:58 »
I agree with supersprout - cardboard etc is great for short term crops.
I have used the black heavy duty woven plastic to lay around trees and fruit bushes, but only once the soil is in good condition. It is far too expensive to use for potatoes and other veg as peterpiper says.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 18:45:24 »
I have used silage sheeting bought from a farm suppliers ;D works out a lot cheaper than the stuff you buy from the garden centre.

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 20:08:36 »
Hi Folks,
Once again many thanks for the advice. I have been given some long lengths of heavy duty plastic sheets plus a few large cardboard boxes the type used for packing upright fridge freezers.Therefore I can try all your suggestions,thanks again.- chief

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal