Author Topic: spring flowers  (Read 1280 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
spring flowers
« on: March 24, 2006, 11:27:53 »
i've got mini daffs and crocuses in my containers flowering. and tulips starting. do i cut them to keep them flowering? or dead head them? i'm not very good with flowers but really want a good display this year on the front, to make up for the work in progress in the back   ::)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: spring flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:56:53 »
Sadly none of the plants you mention will flower again once the original flower has finished. Dead heading of daffs and tulips is a good idea. Just behind the flower the stem thins a little (easier to see than explain) that is where you can nip off the dead flower. Crocus need no such attention, unless you wish to. I would give them all a good feed with Miracle grow or Babybio or Maxicrop after flowering to build up the bulb for next season. If you want them to flower next year wait until the leaves have turned yellow before diggin up and storing dry in a cool dark, vermin proof place.
Gardening is the great leveller.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:01:59 »
palustris. i didn't realise you had to dig them up! these were left in from last year ??? do you have to do this every year? and how am i supposed to know what are what?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:17:36 »
No you do not have to dig them up each year. I did say IF you dig them up. Otherwise the advice is the same, feed after flowering for next years display.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 17:44:02 »
It's mostly better not to dig them up. Only do so if you have a specific reason. Some half-hardy bulbs are traditionally dug up for the winter, but I've never done this. If it won't survive the winter in the ground, I don't plant it unless it's an annual.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal