Author Topic: Frog Watch  (Read 16118 times)

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
Re: Frog Watch
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 17:02:21 »
We saw a frog on our allotment field (in Suffolk) this morning - unfortunately it had the frog virus. 
We have two ponds on our allotment wildlife area but no sign of frogs in them yet - usually we get the first frog spawn about 12 March but I think it will be later this year, as the ponds are still frozen.  The diseased frog was about 500 yards from our ponds so we very much hope there's still some healthy frogs about. 
You can find information of the frog virus on the 'froglife' website.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 22:44:23 »
I saw frogspawn today! In Manchester!

In a bucket being carried by two kids, presumably from a tiny pond in the local park.. Surprised any frogs would've wanted to be so energetic in the cold Manc weather we've had lately.. but I'm anticipating some here soon!

Melanie

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 10:36:50 »
I went out into the garden again last night and there they were - three little sets of eyes peering out of the water.

Two in amplexus and one lonely heart.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 13:24:28 »
;D John, send the lonely heart my way, a positive orgy going on in my pond this morning! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 13:49:57 »
Nothing starting up here yet.  Our ponds are still defrosting. Waiting to hear that resonating croak we usually hear that means they are "at it"  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2006, 17:09:31 »
Saw one crossing a border in my garden at home this afternoon. I am in Shropshire.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 17:36:19 »
Out walking the dog this early morning (6.20a.m.), I almost stood on a frog sitting on the footpath.

Debs

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 19:04:24 »
Big fat one spotted in Oldham yesterday, although he/she's not been seen since???

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2006, 20:54:11 »
Solid ice here. Need to get out and defrost a breathing hole.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 09:43:19 »
Just been out into the garden to look at our ponds and there they were, blowing bubbles on the surface -   the frogs are back!  :D bussy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:08 »
Still nothing here in South Cheshire, but I don't have a pond and I'm at work during most of the daylight hours.  Fingers crossed this weekend as my residents sunbathe on the rockery and snooze under the woodshed.  Some of my neighbours have small ponds so the frogs may be about just keeping close to the water while erm, the mood is upon them?

Best barometer of frog presence is my neighbour - she shreiks at the sight of them and shoos them towards my garden, bless.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2006, 11:07:56 »
I heard a deep froggy croak last night when I let the dog out, and saw something shuffling around in the pond when I went out earlier today (and the fish are way too lazy to be up yet!)

Yay, the frogs are awake in Manchester!
Melanie

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:37 »
saw a pair of frogs this morning on the allotment, heading towards the ponds, is spring finally here

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2006, 20:31:54 »
I heard a familiar plop as i approached the pond today, so we definitly have life here in Cheshire ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 20:34:05 by honeybee »

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2006, 10:58:54 »
Woo, am I the first Northerner to have frogspawn? Went out today, and a couple of weather-resistant frogs have started, even though it's 5 degrees, cold, rainy and horrible out.

Can't see it surviving a frost, though. You'd think they'd learn - they did this last year, too.. :(

Melanie

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2006, 11:05:24 »
Don't have a pond but have 3 frogs that live in the garden, disturbed one at the weekend while I was moving some logs. Tried to put them back in exactly the same place, hope I didn't scare it off.

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2006, 11:33:46 »
I built my rather large pond in my new garden in the middle of last year, but as yet have no 'fibs adopting it. Have seen a couple of small ones around the garden, but none actually IN the pond. However, I am on the committee of a local wildlife reserve, which is tied closely to a Natterjack toad project, and I am getting frog & common toad spawn which has been removed from natterjack breeding areas - so if no other 'fibs move in, I should have a local 'adopted' population for next year.
Unfortunately, though I live in the prime natterjack area, my pond is not suitable, so I am not likely to attract any yellow-stripe immigrants.

JeremyB

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2006, 14:10:47 »
Hi all though its been pretty cold up here in Edinburgh at the beginning of the week I saw the first activity of the frogs with a bit of splashing but now I can count at least a dozen of them. I only have a small pre-formed pond and last year they totally covered the water, so hopefully a lot more to drop in. According to my diary almost to the day the frogs have started appearing. Unfortunately I am moving house in may so I will be taking a bucket of spawn with me.   jock_edin

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2006, 16:29:29 »
Would a dog deter the frogs from their aherm...activities.

Don't know whether ours will keep them away.

Debs

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2006, 16:39:04 »
We have two Debs (dogs that is). The frogs seem to be quite unafraid of them, leaping around while the dogs lie out in the garden "protecting" their territory.

I've even managed to train the dogs  to ignore birds (quite something for cocker spaniels) but they still can't contain themselves when the grey squirrels come to call.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal