Author Topic: Frog Watch  (Read 16119 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Frog Watch
« on: February 08, 2006, 21:30:56 »
Last year we had a sort of Frog Watch thread, and I thought it would be interesting to have another one this year, so we could track when they start to appear throughout the country.  I have been up to my allotment today and re-lined our lottie pond, as the other liner we had there was leaking.  Hopefully they will be more in evidence there this year now that we have more of a pond.  Tomorrow I am clearing all the leaves and gunk out of our two garden ones, also in readiness for the frogs. I think it was early March last year that mine arrived, but it all depends on February and if we have any more ice or snow to come.  So I hope all you frog watchers keep in touch. :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Frog Watch
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 22:38:53 »
I check every weekend to see if they've returned.  ( well I would wouldn't I )  :) Will let you know as soon as the first one pops out to say hello.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 22:42:31 »
Me too. I'll need to clean out our ponds as well. Too busy to put netting down so they're full of leaves etc.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 17:51:24 »
I'll join in b_l.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 18:43:27 »
Great!!  :D  Thanks all for replying.  Have cleaned out my garden ponds now but went out this morning and they are both frozen over as it is so cold here. So it is not going to be just yet they come out of their hibernation.  :) busy_lizzie

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 18:45:11 »
I've found that frogs go to sleep in the pond over winter so its a bit difficult to clean it out at that time of year. They seem to tuck themselves into the folds in the plastic until its warm enough to become active.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

emma h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 20:44:39 »
I'm really worried now. We had 2 ponds on the allotment and one was in a really bad position so we emptied it and moved 30-40 frogs into the other pond :( Will they be OK?   We really had to move the pond as it was right by the gate and we have a toddler.

Emma (feeling like a frog killer)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 22:21:37 »
I'll post here when I see the first frogs. Last year they were around early, it's been much colder this year. Was at the allotment on Thursday and had a good look in the pond, didn't see anything, pond was frozen over.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 10:35:22 »
We had fish coming up to be fed last week, then the temperature dropped again.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 10:49:31 »
Me too! Me too!!

We have two garden ponds - one a v. small preformed pond which had taddies and

frogs last year, the other is a larger pond (OH's baby) with waterfall and has koi

carp & goldfish.

Will the frogs return to the original small pond or both?

If they return to big pond, will fish eat the spawn ( if we get any)

Debs :-\

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 10:58:38 »
In our experience they always seem to return to their home pond.  A favourite haunt of our frogs in the winter seems to be the compost heap, it must still be nice and warm in there.  It you dig it over you always come across frogs.  One year though when I left the cleaning of the ponds late, I unfortunately stabbed a frog while I was cleaning it out.  I felt absolutely terrible so I always have a general poke before I start now.  I have known frogs to go into our pond and then we have had a freeze and they have been frozen in the water, but they somehow seem to survive. busy_lizzie

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:22 »
I think fish to eat frogspawn so it may be worth moving some of the spawn into the smaller pond  to keep it out of harms way.

The dangers are not all one way either, I've heard stories that sometimes male frogs can take quite a shine to fish and actually drown them in amplexus!

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 13:22:10 »
I'll join you all but my pond is still completely frozen at the moment. I doubt if there'll be any signs of frogs just yet.  :(

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 14:22:47 »
I don't have a pond on the allotment,but would like one to encourage all the beneficial

frogs etc..

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 14:52:08 »
I'm keeping a daily watch on my small wildlife pond It's in a very shady part of the garden which ice tends to linger in but has had frogs in it for 2 years
so this year being colder might be a issue.  I think being a cold pond makes
the taddies slower to change, I read somewhere that it took afew weeks but mine took nearly all summer  stilli'v lots there as i found scooping out the mud underneath the liner with my hands to shore the sides up I was
surprised how many different sizes and colours were there ???
Will report back first sign of life
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 15:44:16 »
I had a chocolate brown frog leap out at me yesterday at plot happily going about his business , maybe from lottie  3 up as he keeps his water covered !  we are in the West Mids

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 20:56:12 »
I just went down the garden with a torch and saw my first frog of spring, though I think its probably one that overwinters in the water since the temperature only went up today and there was ice on the water the night before last. - on the south coast.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 20:58:28 by John_H »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 17:47:38 »
We have a shallow bit at the end of our "wildlife" pond where the tadpoles congregate because it warms up quickly, it's camouflaged by weed and the fish and frogs (also known to munch on the odd taddie) don't go there.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 08:45:26 »
Hey BL, saw my first one in the pond 4 days ago, he was croaking away and looking rather lonely! :'(  I am sure all the others are still hibernating and he is just a young-un raring to go! ;) ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:30:34 by Doris_Pinks »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 21:55:52 »
We have frogs in the pond!!  :D OH went out in the garden tonight to chop some wood for our "romantic glass of wine by the fire", when he heard a deep croaking.  I have just been out with a torch and there is activity in the pond.  Lots of frogs making lots of bubbles.  I just hope we don't have a cold snap now as they are here much earlier than last year.  :) busy_lizzie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal