Author Topic: Dog Recall Training.  (Read 2476 times)

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
Dog Recall Training.
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:41:38 »
I am reading The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.
She says that if you want your dog to return to you whilst it is of the lead, you should turn and walk away from it – in the opposite direction – and without saying a word.

Last night, I was watching ‘It’s me or the dog’ with Victoria Stilwell, on TV.
Her method of recall, is to call the dog, then make screeching noises to get his attention – Then walk off in the opposite direction.

This got the dog’s attention immediately, and he came running back.

The theory to this, is that dogs are pack animals, and don’t want to be removed from their leader.

Personally, I think Victoria Stilwell’s method is the best.
Going by the experiences with my own dogs, if they are any distance from me, and having a sniff around, I could be quite a long way from them before they noticed what I was doing  -  if I just turned on my heel and walked away.

Any other views on this?
 ???
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Dog Recall Training.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:06:30 »
One trick I use on young dogs is to take them where there are trees. Walk with the dog on the lead towards a tree and drop the lead and hide behind the tree. The dog is inquisitive enough to go looking for you. Make a fuss when it finds you, walk on and do the same again. After a very short time you'll see that the dog is waiting for you to do it and will tend to keep you in sight. The dog I have now always keeps her eye on me because I still try to hide from her and she always returns when I'm not in sight or if I change direction. It's a short step from this to an actual recall.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 14:50:17 »
When they are pups I get down to their level and they always come lolloping over to me. Then they just do it cos they're used to coming when I call. But they're cockers and think they're human. ::)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 18:06:58 »
I've found the best method with the pup is to hide, she comes running, going down to her level she doesn't give a whatsit, but its difficult when there is nowhere to hide. She'll come if I call her when she wants to but if its a lovely day or she's eating something then no hope, making funny noises just makes her dance round us, she thinks its a game, offering a titbit works, when she wants it to...we just wait until she's ready. :-X

Of course she's a Jack Russell so what hope have I ? a mere mortal. ::)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 18:30:51 »
They all have their own individual preferences when they're training their humans, don't they?  ;D ;D ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 18:33:49 »
you're so right but we're learning fast ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 19:40:17 »
Try lying down on your back. Looks very silly but dogs want to know why.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:00:34 »
Here's an extract from our clubs dog training manual (it's copyright free)

Informal “Recall”

Whistle, use as a Key Fob, this way it’s always with you.

Buy yourself one of those plastic whistles similar to a referee’s, don’t bother with a dog whistle they are usually a complete waste of time.  Have a bag of treats ready. You start off in the house with the dog in the same room as you, wait until he isn’t paying any attention, then blow the whistle give the command “Come” letting the dog see the treat, as soon as he is close enough touch his collar with the other hand whilst giving him the treat.  Also at this point give lots of praise.  Wait until he has wandered off and is no longer paying attention before you repeat the exercise.  Do this until the dog, at the barest hint of a whistle, is instantly next to you.
Remember once he is coming to you he doesn’t get the treat until you touch his collar.
Repeat with the dog in another part of the house, first make sure the doors are open, and when this is going well extend it to the garden.  Reduce the number of times you actually give treats but never totally stop, always give praise.  Now when you are out in the park/fields blow the whistle, touch the dog, release the dog.  Remember - if every time the dog returns it is put on a lead and taken home it quickly learns that if it comes back the fun is over.  Recall and release 2 or 3 times per dog walk.
“My dog isn’t that keen on treats”, OK try diced up fried sausage, liver or stewing steak find something that the dog likes, remember getting your dog to return is one of the most important lessons that the dog has to learn.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 17:26:11 »
 ;D
Well, you have all been giving me a laugh here.
I see that like me, you are all well trained by your dogs!!!!

I  never had problems with the one puppy I had. But, I always nowadays take in rescue dogs - the last one being five years old when I got her.

Good advice, MikeB.
I could never understand how anyone would know if dog whistles were working or not. They are supposed to be too high pitched for humans to hear them.
 ::)
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 08:40:14 »
We used to have a dog whistler on the dog round, he nearly got mobbed by the other dog walkers, his dog didn't take any notice either, in fact I haven't heard him for a while maybe he was mugged. Actually must admit I have exaggerated a bit, its only when Lady gets back to the car she's a monkey. She knows she's going home and hasn't quite finished playing yet, it only happens if she has found something to eat.....which can be anything! She'll be fooled at the weekend, no car, its a walk home instead,  ;)Funny thing is it only happens on the morning walk, the afternoon one she's fine.Too much energy then.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal