Author Topic: water butt  (Read 1572 times)

Gordon

• Quarter Acre
  • Crewe, Cheshire
water butt
« on: February 24, 2006, 18:38:15 »
Hi All

I have a couple of questions I have today inherited a water butt 2 50 gallon drums joined together with a pipe.

Question 1. What is the best way of collecting rainwater without a shed/greenhouse they keep getting burnt down or smashed.

Question 2. The butts I've got smell a lot because they have been full of the same water for a long time how/what is the best way of cleaning them out?.

Thanks
Gordon
Crewe, Cheshire

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: water butt
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 18:43:09 »
No2 - just scrub them - Jeyes if you prefer the smell? And then NEVER leave the lid off & they will never smell!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 14:07:03 »
To collect water, you can get a large sheet of plastic, make a small hole in the centre. Then put up 4 posts (posts just taller than your water butt) in a square and tie the ends to the plastic, ensuring that the centre dips down. Put the butt underneath the hole in the centre. Rain will collect on the plastic sheeting and run down into the butt.
I have no lid for my water butt, but keep the muck out with a sort of filter, in this fashion:
Take a square of chicken wire about a foot larger  all around than the top of the butt. Take a square of fabric (I used weed control fabric, the flimsy type, but net curtain would do). Place the fabric on top of the chicken wire and fold over the sides of the chicken wire to secure the fabric, making a square just a couple of inches bigger than the top of the water butt. Place the mesh ontop of the water butt and scrunch the wire around the top to make it fit closely. I put half a brick in the centre, to stop it blowing off in high winds, and this also makes a depression in the filter which allows water to run into the butt.

Gordon

• Quarter Acre
  • Crewe, Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 11:06:19 »
Hi

A BIG Thank you to everybody who helped.

Regards

Gordon
Crewe, Cheshire

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:36 »
Hi

I have a similar question.  I have inherited two steel (I think) rubbish bins - the old fashion type, really thick and heavy.  These have been placed around the plot, presumably so that you can just pop the watering can in and fill it up.  The problem is that they are both full up with water, which looks a bit green it doesn't smell - do you think it is OK to use, or should I empty them and start again?

I like the idea of putting a filter over the top - I have yards of muslin - do you think that would work??

This is my 3rd post this morning - I can't seem to stop ;D

Thanks

Sharon

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 11:55:01 »
Sharon, wouldn't use the water on young seedlings, but should be ok poured on the soil.
Muslin would be fine for a filter, but it might rot quicker than man made fibre.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 12:00:21 »
That's true, but I do have yards and yards - I bought it for curtains but then decided it cut out too much light and have been looking for a use ever since!!  Perhaps I could also use it as a cabbage/carrot fly barrier?? but I think that's another thread.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal