Author Topic: another compost/manure question  (Read 1870 times)

emma h

• Quarter Acre
another compost/manure question
« on: February 06, 2006, 18:48:03 »
I've just taken delivery of lots of things, rhubarb, raspberries etc, and it says to put well rotted manure into the hole before planting. However, having only had the allotment for 3 weeks, I don't have any.  What is my best option? Would multi-purpose compost bought from a shop be OK? Should I just plant them into my soil as it is? Or can I do something else?

Also, am I too late to manure my beds his year, or could I do it for things that won't be going in till May?

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: another compost/manure question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 18:59:19 »
I'm interested in this too as have just got some rhubarb (another post).  I can get hold of manure but it won't be well rotted yet.  Would it be worth getting a bag of chicken manure pellets instead?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

mega

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 19:14:08 »
hi, if you don't have access to old manure just plant them, and surface feed or mulch during the growing season,

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 19:50:17 »
I've just taken delivery of lots of things, rhubarb, raspberries etc, and it says to put well rotted manure into the hole before planting. However, having only had the allotment for 3 weeks, I don't have any.  What is my best option? Would multi-purpose compost bought from a shop be OK? Should I just plant them into my soil as it is? Or can I do something else?

Also, am I too late to manure my beds his year, or could I do it for things that won't be going in till May?

Bought compost is only really OK for a short term fix, ideal for a soil conditioner but it soon runs out of steam.

If you can get any well aged manure from a farm or the like you can get 50l bags of the stuff from most garden centres, this is a bit more expensive but will last longer than compost.

Six X seem to be in most centers:

http://www.6-x.co.uk/products.htm

No connection to the company.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 20:21:58 »
I wouldn't recommend planting rhubarb, rasps etc without planting their feet in a good manure base. They're going to be there for some time and you DO want a good crop. Rhubarb seems to need endless quantities of manure. We have a large water butt with manure and water added which we use at least forthightly when the rhubarb is in full swing but the crowns are alsoo planted with a manure base.

You can buy bags of manure as sanders suggests.

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 20:32:44 »
I didn't have any manure last year (my first year on my allotment) and my rhubarb crop was huge. I did nothing to it, didn't even water it. Matter of fact, I didn't have any manure (or compost) at all last year and got huge corn, tomato, pumpkin, and courgette crops....
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 20:47:32 »
May have been manured the year before? Don't know, but the gross feeders really respond to manure.

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 17:29:43 »
my suggestion would be to plant them, them put a good mulch of horse manure over them.
my motto is get it in and get it cooked and eaten.
peterpiper

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal