Author Topic: Moving a privet hedge?  (Read 8939 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Moving a privet hedge?
« on: January 30, 2006, 19:30:54 »
Now I've decided what I want to put where in the garden, I need to move a privet hedge.
Its about 5 foot high, well trimmed and  well established.
I though we could dig trenches either side, tease it out, lay on a ground sheet and drag to the new location.

Any ideas to improve this and reduce the chance of killing it?
Thanks
Jo

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Moving a privet hedge?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 19:50:08 »
1:Do not let the roots dry out.
Try not to cut off the fine root hairs.
Replant at the same depth.
Cut back drastically, say by at least half in height. This is because you are bound to loose many roots and it keeps the balance between roots and top correct.
Keep well watered for at least 6 months.

2:Ideally do as you say with the trenches and loosen the hedge/ plants so no roots are holding into the soil, then back fill, firm and leave for 12 months. This is in effect wrenching the roots as tree nurserymen do to avoid tap roots and establish a system of fine root hairs. In forestry this is done to young transplants which are then sold as 1u1 transplants, that is one year seedlings unercut and grown on for another year. This gives a really good root system. With larger trees or shrubs it is done for the same reason but also often so a rootballed tree or shrub is grown suitable for replanting with a good fibrous rootball.

3: Take cuttings, you only need to stick them in the ground and they usually grow. This will be your fall back plan if all else fails. :)

PS I have some experience of this. :)
Ivor

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 17:31:14 »
I'm not sure that privet would move very successfully but worth a try. As ipt8 suggests take cuttings. I have an entire privet hedge grown from cuttings. Prepare the ground thoroughly and incorporate plenty of manure and organic materials. Privet is a gross feeder. I agree that you would need to cut it back quite drastically. Probably want to move it ASAP provided of course the ground is neither waterlogged nor frozen. No later than March I would have thought. Good luck! Let us know how you get on please.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 17:33:40 »
You need to water frequently and spray the leaves too until there is observable new growth. If it's putting out new shoots it's probably produced some new roots too.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 20:02:21 »
Water copiously for a season and it might well work. The watering will be critical; you have to soak the ground right down to the roots, which will take a great deal of water for a whole hedge.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal