Author Topic: Extending dog leads  (Read 1925 times)

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
Extending dog leads
« on: January 30, 2006, 17:23:50 »
A few months ago, I heard somewhere, that a dog on an unlocked extending lead, had run into the road and been killed.

I have used extending leads for dogs of mine, but always kept them locked in the short position except when on grass areas – well away from roads.

I have twice since then, spoken to people I sometimes see while out on my walks, who use the extending leads in the unlocked position, and warned them of the dangers involved.

They didn’t take a blind bit of notice – probably thought I was being nosey!!!!

Today, while walking along a road with my dogs, a woman on the opposite side of the road to me, approached with a dog on an extending lead. The dog ran into the road, and reached the middle before it came to the end of it’s lead.

Fortunately, and lucky for her and her dog, there wasn’t any traffic approaching. But I dread to think of what would have happened if a car or bus had been coming.
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

joji

• Hectare
Re: Extending dog leads
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 17:32:17 »
Your right to be worried Whippet. :'(

I carry my dogs extending leads in my pocket and have them on there ordinary leads till I get to a safe place. Some owners just think it will never happen to them. If the dog is out of control and is hit by a car then that owner is liable for the damage done to the car. Some people get 3 rd party insurance for just  that reason. :)

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 17:52:37 »
You have hit the nail right on the head, joji - It's a case of 'Never happen to me'
Till it does!!!!

Funnily enough, I saw one of the men who I had told about this, today.
His dog was still on the long lead.
 ::)

anneski

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 20:16:56 »
Another two problems with the extending leads can be neck damage and torn skin.

With the cord rather than tape types, if the lead wraps and slides along skin be it human or dog, it can lead to very nasty cuts indeed, as it acts like cheese wire. I personally know of one case of each where both a dog and human had significant wounds due to these wrapping themselves around limbs  :-[

The neck problems that I know of have occured when it's been a pointy dog (sighthound type) on a lead, as they can accelerate so quickly and be at the end of the lead before you know if, and if you're holding tightly the dog is snapped to a stop and can seriously damage their neck. If you use one of them with a running dog, a harness is a better option to attach it to.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 17:49:44 »
Thanks for that information anneski - I had never heard about the cuts before. Could they also get  something like friction burns?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 20:05:18 »
They never were intended for urban use. They started out as a terrier pup control lead in the country. But it's not the dog at fault is it?

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:43:31 »
Behind every 'badly' behaved dog, is an owner who doesn't know what they are doing.
 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal