Author Topic: sunflowers and poppies  (Read 2649 times)

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
sunflowers and poppies
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:04:40 »
I'm thinking of growing the above, to add a bit of flowery colour to the plot, but also cause i'd like to try and use the seeds in bread/salads etc.  Anyone able to recommend good seed producing varieties and any tips on cultivation to get the best seeds out of them?  (my childhood memories are far too vague, and too distant)

traceym

• Not So New ...
Re:sunflowers and poppies
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 12:31:36 »
Can,t help with the sunflowers Jack,but have a look at this site,has lots of info on poppies including the type used for bread coating.

www.cottage-garden-seeds.co.uk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 20:32:39 »
I grow sunflowers, again for a splash of bright colour, but I have not managed to find a method of getting the seeds out of the husks. Therefore I am also interested if anyone has an effective technique!

SueT

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 20:38:22 »
A few years ago I had some fantastic poppies courtesy of the birds who visit the nut holders in my little tree  ;D
Sue

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 21:27:42 »
Hi Scrumpyjack!

The annual poppy varieties opium ( somniferum ) and Shirley ( rhoeas ) have safe edible seeds, and are easy to grow!! Just don't eat the leaves, very toxic!!  :o
All the common sunflowers have edible seed, and range from dwarf to giant!! 'Teddy Bear is a lovely dwarf , about 15", double fluffy flowers!! Most need staking tho'  ::)

Derek, are you leaving them to thoroughly dry out before digging the seed out? Never had a problem, just cut the heads off, dry off for few weeks indoors, then peel them off from the base!
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 14:18:59 »
right all,

This enquiry now has a competitive edge to it.  Whilst I'm still on the look out for good seed producing varieties,  I now also have a strong interest in types that get stupidly tall, and advice on how to get them even more stupidly tall.

(If any fellow sunflower competitor gives me bogus advice, I'll cry)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 16:12:59 »
Hmmmmmm    we are ALL interested in this answer! ;D ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 16:52:37 »
 ;D well it was worth a try  :-[

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 17:22:05 »
I've got poppies for my little bit of garden, because I thought that they might self-seed like crazy at the plot and possible upset my neighbours.  ??? Have I misunderstood, 'cos I'd love the colour on my lottie next to my (hopefully) very tall sunflowers! ;D

HB

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 17:28:35 »
Bit of track, I know, but if you can get hold of some phacelia seeds, which produce lovely blue flowers which bees love!  Good rond edge of lottie  :D  Californain bluebell, farmers rond here love it
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal