Author Topic: Pallets for a shed base  (Read 2857 times)

Chief

• Not So New ...
Pallets for a shed base
« on: January 25, 2006, 19:47:00 »
More by luck than good judgement I have just found out that I am not allowed to lay a solid base (concrete or other) as a base for a 6x4 garden shed.Therefore I was thinking of laying a sheet of heavy duty plastic sheet down and then placing pallets on top of this with a further plastic sheet on top of the pallets and then sitting the shed on this.Has anyone else tried this method ? and if so does it work ? your thoughts would be appreciated

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Pallets for a shed base
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 19:54:14 »
I dont know but I have used slabs OK. I have also just put the shed on wooden bearers or sleepers.

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 20:08:58 »
Hi ipt8, Thanks for the info,Idid suggest slabs but was told that I could have part slabs one on each of the four corners with wooden battens across.The problem is that I weigh in at 21 stone and did not fancy going through the shed base.Mind you when I have eventualy dug out all the brambles and cleared the dumped rubbish I should be down to 12 stone (I wish).

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 21:22:39 »
Put stone slabs at corners, level them to each other. Put sleepers or such like length ways. (An extra one dow the centre depending on your shed size.) Across these put wood (as big as you can get) across. Lay floor on them. Check levels as you go. Don't put plastic to wood, it hold moisture and also 'sweats' and will rot your timbers. Go for a flow of air under the shed. Weight of the shed and contents will hold everything in place.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 11:26:07 by kenkew »

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 14:04:52 »
Funnily enough that was something I was wondering about the other day. I was worried that it would be difficult to get them level.

Would you be allowed to fill a shallow box type strycture with rubble or hardcore  then fix planks of wood or a sheet of something over the top?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 14:38:27 »
Hardcore wouldn't really be doing anything, tho. Far better to leave it open. Treat the timber with a preservative if you wish, but of all the sheds I have erected over the years I have always left a an air gap.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 14:55:15 »
Well as the only shed that we have ever put up blew away, it would be sensible to follow ken's advice, rather than mine. Lol!  :D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 10:32:49 »
Hi All, Thanks for the advice kenkew I will stick to your idea.To be honest I never thought about the plastic to wood problem but it does make sense,many thanks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 17:08:16 »
Never wrap wood in plastic. When I started at secondary school, they were in the process of having a new floor put in the gym. It was the games master's pride and joy, nobody, not even parents, was allowed to go in there with outdoor shoes on in case they damaged it. After a couple of years the boards started to come loose, and they found that the people who built it had sealed it with a plastic sheet. It all had dry rot, and had to be replaced with a much cheaper one. Serve the sadistic bastard right.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal