Author Topic: Any advice?.........  (Read 3090 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Any advice?.........
« on: January 28, 2006, 00:02:36 »
............. about which are the best, and hardiest,  deep water plants for a pond?  Our pond is a 10' circle and 3 & 1/2 foot in depth at the centre. I live in Scotland and we get some pretty severe frosts and winds here so they'd have to withstand whatever the climate throws at them.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Any advice?.........
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:35:01 »
Im only a newbie to ponds Eileen but I have found that the plant that does the best is a water lily.  There are different types for different depths,  small, medium, large or massive.  Im sure Margaret or William will be along soom with much better advice  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:39:35 »
Thanks for the reply Mimi.  ;D I already have lots of water lilies though in a variety of colours.. What I'm looking for is some kind of evergreen, architectural plants that will look good in the pond all year round. Don't know if there are such plants but thought I would ask anyway. None of the GC's around here seem to sell any.  :(

EILEEN.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 16:31:53 »
Try this site it may help. :)

www.java-plants.com

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 19:27:02 »
If you want something green, bushy, winter-hardy, and which is generally beneficial to your pond, try Canadian Pond Weed. If you have a clean bottom to your pond, plant a bunch in a container. If you have a muddy bottom, then also throw in a few loose handfuls. It will alternatly rise to the top, then sink to the bottom, and if it finds any mud, it will self root. As an oxygenator, it will also help the quality of your water. Tadpoles will eat it, & fish lay eggs on it.

Jeremy

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 19:29:29 »
Thanks for the link Joji and for the advice on the Canadian Pond Weed Jeremy. You've all helped me out quite a bit. Hopefully, the pond will look good this year.  ;D

EILEEN.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 23:51:40 »
I think Parrots Feather should be tough enough and looks great. My Koi also like it and eat it but it is cheep.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 00:47:28 »
Eileen I also live in Scotland and have two ponds - one the same depth as yours and one a bit shallower. We have oxygenators such as Elodea which overwinter in the ponds. Apart from that we have a variety of plants but none that really have much to show over winter although we have irises, marsh marigolds and waterlilies at various points throughout the year. We use the winter to clear out "overgrowth". At this time the plants round the ponds provide both greenery and protection for wildlife.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 21:14:52 by grawrc »

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 21:06:54 »
Hi Eileen.Hornwort is very good as it has no roots so doesn't need planting.It does tend to rather take over a pond though!! so beware.

How are you managing with the really cold weather up there at the moment then?
Margaret

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 11:01:18 »
Hiya Margaret!!!!  ;D

We just have to cope with the weather here I'm afraid but it does get you down when the ground is frozen solid most of the autumn, winter and spring.  :( Thanks for the advice about the Hornwart. I don't mind plants being invasive as long as they're NOT the dreaded Fairy Moss!!!!!
How deep can bullrushes and reeds be planted do you know? I want to create an area in the pond which will attract even more wildlife to the garden.  :D

EILEEN.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 20:44:42 »
Hi Eileen,good to hear from you.Bullrushes and reeds will very quickly take over your pond i'm afraid.They don't like being in deep water,so if you can plant them round the edge of the pond,in a boggy area they will be much happier.Or perhaps  you can keep them contained in a pot.Although i tried that and they were fine for a year or two.Then last summer i tried to lift the pot out off the shelf and it wouldn't move!! it had  become  completely attached to the liner by the roots.So beware!!
Margaret

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 21:00:22 »
They are quite invasive too and can even dig right through the liner with their sharp pointed roots.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 09:34:36 »
I've decided, after advice from yourselves, NOT to go for bullrushes or reeds after all  ::) but to maybe try an alternative such as reed grass and flowering rushes in pots. Do you think this is a better idea? I know they don't like deep water but I thought if I put them at the back margins of the pond this would be OK. I just want to get the pond established properly this year with planting to attract and encourage wildlife to stay around. It's great having people here who know far more about pond plants than I do.  :D

EILEEN.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal