Author Topic: Has anyone advice on growing lavender?  (Read 17960 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Has anyone advice on growing lavender?
« on: January 27, 2006, 20:29:51 »
We've bought some lavender seeds, as we fancied lavender as a companion plant to attract beneficial insects.  The instructions say to germinate it by putting the seed tray in the fridge for 6 weeks before bring it into the light.  Now, I sort of understand the reason for this, but is there a simpler way?

If we plant the seeds and put them in a cold frame around about now, would that have the same effect?

If anyone has advice on germinating lavender, we'd be grateful.

Thanks

John & Jean

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Has anyone advice on growing lavender?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 22:24:26 »
I have never grown lavender from seed but I do believe it to be quite easy.. T he best way that I have found is to take cuttings from another plant.  I have in the past bought one and taken about 20 cuttings from it, with great success. As I said I am no expert but I am sure that it would have the same effect in the cold frame.   Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 08:36:35 »
Hi Melbourne 12, I have grown lavender from seed, remember it wasn't difficult but have no memory of stratifying  it (breaking the seeds dormancy by chilling it) at all. However, considering what the current temperature is putting it in a cold frame may well have the same effect as putting it in a fridge. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 08:53:31 »
An easy way to propagate lavendar is to half-bury the plants for a season, with just the ends of the stems showing through. By the end of the season, every stem will have rooted, and they can be planted out individually.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:04:46 »
Wow Robert , that sounds like something to try!

I love lavender and have a tray full of individual cuttings I took end of summer

Debs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:14:49 »
They should root, but my method of layering is really easy.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 12:09:46 »
Had some success myself with lavender cuttings by taking softwood cuttings - the fresh shoots that appear in spring - and putting them in gritty compost with bottom heat. They don't want their leaves wet though, so just water from the bottom. They rooted in about 3 - 4 weeks, was ever so pleased.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 15:43:28 »
An easy way to propagate lavendar is to half-bury the plants for a season, with just the ends of the stems showing through. By the end of the season, every stem will have rooted, and they can be planted out individually.
I agree and it is one of the best ways to get more hardy lavender plants.  Also taking cuttings will work well.  If you take seeds from your hardy lavenders, they wont necessarily grow to be like the parent plant.  Whereas the more tender lavenders you can propogate from seed collected from existing plants. 
Just remember they like good drainage.

MM

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 19:20:34 »
Re the good drainage - last spring I planted three small lavender plants round my pond in clay soil you could make bricks from. I added a little all-purpose compost but I was a bit concerned that they'd suffer from lack of drainage and didn't think they'd do all that well.
They absolutely romped away - in fact, they overhung the pond so much they hid the waterlilies, and by the end of summer they'd reached 3ft x 3ft.

I've no idea how it happened - can anyone demystify me?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 19:24:13 »
I'm pleased they have done so well Amazin but surprised.

MM

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:32:38 »
Well, we planted our packet of “Fragrant Butterflies” (Nicky’s Nurseries) yesterday.  They’re in a seed tray in a cold mini-greenhouse.  We’ll bring them in if severe frosts threaten.  They’re very tiny seeds; even our seed dispenser set on the smallest setting couldn’t really distribute them evenly.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 19:29:13 »
I'm a bit astonished myself, MM! They were only cheap pot plants sold in threes at B&Q last year.

M12, good luck with your lavender - lovely name, “Fragrant Butterflies”. Is it a dwarf variety?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:05:16 »
... M12, good luck with your lavender - lovely name, “Fragrant Butterflies”. Is it a dwarf variety?

No, the seed catalogue says 90cm, which is pretty tall.  There's a picture here: http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/page8lav.htm#FS-LA029

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 17:25:03 »
We have a dwarf lavender hedge which was grown from cuttings. I replace the whole thing every 4-5 years with new plants grown from cuttings when the original begins to get too woody or leggy. It's really easy to do. mind you I think our small south-facing front garden has a Mediterranean micro-climate. Even the pelargoniums over winter there.

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 17:12:37 »
i bought some half price seeds from wilkos last late summer .didnt read the instructions as is my wont put them in seed trays in a sheltered spot and let them get on with it. i have had them outside since and they are growing a treat.
go with the flow i say.
let the force be with you.
petepiper

montanum

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 10:18:41 »
I've grown Lavender from seed a few times and Yes it seems easy! If I remember correctly I put the seed in about March but If you have a protected area like a greenhouse I would try anytime after Jan. The one thing to remember though I found to my cost water the plants well during their first year that they are planted out in the garden. If you are on clay I would put in plenty of grit at planting time - they do not like their feet cold and wet. I also found that the plants are likely to seed themselves about for your benefit! so familierise yourself with the look of Lavender seedlings and you can just lift the little darlings out and grow them on easily.
Best of luck ::)
From The Mountains

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 00:03:27 »
I'm reading a book at the moment about a professional gardener who settled in France.  In it he states that the life span of most lavender is up to seven years, after that it will need replacing.

Robert, what a terrific way to propagate.  Just love the more glamorous varieties, and some can be quite expensive.  Thanks for the tip
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 18:04:58 »
What's the book Flowerlady?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 22:56:16 »
The Luberon Garden - Alex Dingwall-Main

It's a MUST read  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 17:26:14 »
Thought it sounded familiar! I've read it already. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal