Author Topic: Walking companions  (Read 12493 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Walking companions
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:05:12 »
I love making things out of 'nothing'. All the 'walking sticks' I've made have all come from council thinnings in the local wood. Making them is a joy, but to be honest, this part of the world don't appreciate the pleasure you can get rambling along with your 'companion'
So, I thought I'd 'stick' a pic on here of one I finished last night and see if there's an interest in 'home-made' sticks.
Have to get a p&p cost before I can say what that is and that might put and end to this thread!!...but whatever that cost is, that's all I'm asking. No profit to me but a quid to A4A would go down well.
Like all my sticks I tend to use the natural shape of the wood as much as possible rather than carving out an animal or the like. This stick is lightweight, approx 37" long and about 3/4 to 1/2". There's no ferrule on the end 'cos I havn't got any!...but I've inserted a metal 'button' instead. That's not a bad idea actually 'cos you might want to shorten the stick anyway.

This is a Bunny stick on account of it looking a bit like a bunny!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 07:44:05 by kenkew »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Walking companions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:24:30 »
Ken, it is a splendid thing...let us know the p&p costs pretty please.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 12:56:35 »
EJ...You have the most wonderful way of saying 'pretty please' so I'll check it out. Might be cheaper if I sent it in two smaller packets instead of one long one?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 13:53:04 »
Yes yes yes, please Ken,  do that with p& p would you i would love a new walking stick, and one for my husband for a walking companion. ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 14:46:20 »
I'd be interested in one as well, got two in my meagre collection but would like another one. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 16:19:46 »
Next one waiting to get 'done' is Bramble. He's a silly stick with a pointy nose to hook those thorny brambles. (You can rename the stick if you wish as I don't use it's given name while I'm making it.)
Probably ready over the weekend.
Got to point out what I mentioned earlier. All my sticks come from what the foresters thin out. I don't go chopping up trees in an effort to have enough material for a 'normal' handle as is common practice in certain parts. No trees are injured in the making of my sticks. This means most of the handles will be smaller than 'standard' and 'cos I try working 'around' the natural shape, they will all be different.
I use the word 'companion' rather than 'walking stick' as that might suggest I'm making walking aids, I'm not, I make individual companions that are looking for someone to take them for a walk.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 18:43:19 »
can i be next in the queue for one please...

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 19:22:45 »
Hi Gunner'...It's looking like we have to have a plan.
 Probably the best one is to put a pic of the latest finished one and offer it to the first person on the list. Each stick is different and I know not everyone of them will appeal to everyone. If it's passed up then it's offered to the next person...??

Bramble will be another quite light-weight one and while it will serve as a walking stick, it's one that would grumble a bucketful if it was taken on a rough ramble.

So, the list at the moment is;
2 sticks; One is Bunny, the other Bramble. Both pic's should be on by Sunday by which time I should have p&p rates.

EJ has first pick.

Rosebud second. (Although I think Rosebud is looking for something a little sturdier?)

Jesse has shown an interest but not sure what she's really looking for yet.

Gunnerbee is next, and an idea of what you want might help me choose from my stock.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 19:39:14 »
Kenkew - just have to say that that is a thing of beauty. I love that the handle is so distinctive.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 20:06:32 »
Most of the handles won't 'fill the hand' but, different to carved shapes, I gaurantee/garauntee'gurantee I can assure you, you won't find anyone with anything like it.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 20:07:05 »
Ken, I would love to own one of your sticks as well.  I do a bit of walking around here and am sure I would use it lots.   Please......

;D ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 20:08:22 »
KK I'd love anything that's similar to the bunny stick you've shown above, but not too long as I'm not very tall. I love wood, particularly the beautiful grain that some can show and I really like the colour variation of the stick you've shown in your photo, think it's fab :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 20:19:51 »
Ideal stick length.....
For an everyday walking companion, the ideal length is a stick that reaches from ground to 1" above the bend of the wrist. (Get someone else to measure this.)
But, as I said, I don't fit the metal bit to the bottom on account of I haven't got any!...but I will tap in a metal 'button' which will suffice for everyday use. I would prefer to make a stick slightly longer rather than try to get the length exact 'over the phone' so to speak. If you need it shorter after you get it, no problem, take a bit off with a junior hacksaw and if you wish, buy and fit a ferrule to the end. (I'll tell you how if you need advice.)

Jesse, Carol, Rosebud, Gunner:...Are you looking for a light stick or something a little more robust?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 20:23:48 by kenkew »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 20:39:39 »
:D :D :D

Am short as well but would like a light stick Ken.   Gee thanks   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 20:44:56 »
a light stick would be fine for me Ken :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 23:26:59 »
Hi Ken, i would like a fairly robust one but not to heavy please and a robust one for hubby thank you so very much. ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 18:34:07 »
These are the other ones I'm playing with.
I mentioned that the handles are not quite the 'normal' size. I relized today that it isn't necessary to have a large handle. Using a stick with a conventional top to it requires that you have to grasp the thing. After 'testing' small handled sticks, I relized that some people aren't able to grasp things normally, in fact gripping something can be quite painful to do for some people.
That got me thinking.
I'm going to concentrate more on sticks with a 'bit sticking out' so that it can be 'moved forward' as you walk simply by having it hook under your finger.
That said, I have set too on some 'new designs'. A few pics here might show what I mean. It's suprisingly comfortable to use a stick that fits part of the hand with a 'hook' to carry it forwards.
Now....where's mi pics?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 18:47:57 by kenkew »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 18:51:03 »
That's amazing Ken, it starts out looking like any old branch you'd see lying on the ground and then you've transformed it into something unique, very talented you are :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 18:53:41 »
Ta, Jesse.
If anyone wants a bit of string adding, just let me know. Some like turks head or such.
(I play with string 'an all.)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 20:57:15 »
Fascinating pics Kenkew.  You've got a very enviable talent there - not just the craftsmanship, but the vision to see what's waiting in the wood.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal