Author Topic: last frost  (Read 1766 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
last frost
« on: March 02, 2004, 08:26:00 »
Can anyone from the North West (Manchester ish) tell me when I should expect the last frost!!  I keep reading planting times for seeds etc based on being 'a month before the last frost' etc and as a newie to this lottie lark i haven't a clue when that is likely to be!! ???

jethro

Re:last frost
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:47:58 »
Hi Sparky, I live in Durham and i usually set seeds a month after they suggest on the packets, or if you have a heated greenhouse set them off as the packet says. Hope this helps  ;D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 13:49:07 »
Hi Sparky

I would say mid May for hardy stuff and end May first week in June for half hardy.

Although the past couple of years have been somewhat earlier.

Years back I considered the same problem and tried to do something about it.

If you want to see my results go to my website  (click on world disc under my logo) and then click on the Zones button at the top of the index page.

Your opinion /s would be appreciated ( good or bad)

The Gardener

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 17:54:31 »
Hi Sparky - best guess mid-May?  How Manchester is "-ish"?  And worse, since when did the weather follow the rules?

Ah well - there's a couple of maps which have served me well on http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/frost.htm ---- with all sorts of "real-life" provisos!

All best - Gavin

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 19:59:09 »
The Gardener

Love the site, really useful.  I think i am in same zone as you.  Do you have a link to a 'printer friendly version' as I could spend ages reading and clocking up my poor old phone bill?

Sparky

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal