Author Topic: Conservatory climber  (Read 4837 times)

anna

• Quarter Acre
    • My exotic gardening notes
Conservatory climber
« on: March 02, 2004, 01:42:36 »
I've been repainting the roof timbers of the conservatory, and well, they're pretty ugly even after being made all shiny white (it's a 20 y old thing made out of fencing timber and double wall plastic stuff). Eventually, I'll win the lottery or something and get it rebuilt properly, but in the meantime it'll have to either be a climber or home made blinds.

I've been toying with the idea of a grape vine, but probably won;t be able to give it enough soil. And, well, it gets to 30 degrees C in there in summer, lowest temp in winter about 10. So, I could try out all kinds of exiting exotic stuff. One problem tho - I have hay fever  :-\ and I would be worried about lots of pollen coming into the house. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could try?

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Conservatory climber
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:24:08 »
If you don't want flowers Anna - how about trying a variegated ivy.  You can get some really pretty ones and I don't think they require much soil.  Just a large pot.  I grew one in a sunny corner of my lounge but had to get rid of it as it was taking over ::)  You could put some wires around the roof of your conservatory for it to cling on to.  Just a thought - hope it gives you some ideas :D :D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 12:45:54 »
hmmm....I currently only have 2 climbers in my conservatory, a grapevine in the biggest pot in the world ever, and a passion flower - no idea of type, it was a gift from a lady in Ireland.

I have attached a link to a seed site, the vine bit, not suggesting you buy seeds, but it provides some quite nice descirptions of vines and flowers to grow around your conservatory.  I see they list kiwi....hmmm..I have several outdoors, never thought of growing them in the conservatory!

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/vines.htm

Sorry, I haven't really been a great deal of help!

jethro

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 14:50:04 »
Have you tried a banana plant? hardly flowers so should be good for the hayfever  ;D, but there again what do i know i don't have a conservatory but thought this might help?

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 15:30:50 »
Don't have any idea of pollen content but did u know u can grow pelargoniums as climbers in conservatory?  Saw some beauties in victorian heated greenhouse id dumfries/galloway some years ago.  Gardener there said they were all normal garden varieties ::)
When say pelargoniums mean what we call geraniums not posh ones :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 15:31:44 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 15:39:27 »
Hi Anna

This is how I overcame the soil problem with the grape vine in my conservatory.

I appreciate once this the plant is established you just cant take it out doors to re-pot it so I did it this way.

Note the pot is sitting on a box! the purpose behind this is; it can be removed leaving the pot suspended.

Firstly I support the rod/s ,
2) remove the box,
3) place a piece of plastic sheet below the pot,
4) tap the pot down so that it leaves the root ball suspended in mid air.
5) Clean off all the old compost from the rootball
6) Clear away the rubbish
7) Start to reassemble in reverse; return box, return pot, place rootball in pot then add new compost.

I do this every alternate year.

Hope this shows that having a grapevine is practicle.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 15:41:14 by The gardener »

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 16:03:29 »
But a narnar isn't a climber Jethro, just makes a huge plant.  Wish it would flipping flower, would love to be able to brag about growing my own bananas.  :-[

MagpieDi is a conservatory expert....bet she will have some good suggestions.  Magpie.....Magpie....where are yoooooooooooooooo.

jethro

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 16:07:06 »
Told you i knew nothing about consevatories  ;D

jethro

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 16:08:32 »
Or plants  ;D ;D ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 20:57:56 »
Have you thought about a bouganvillia  not much pollen there?
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 15:55:24 »
EJ.....me, an expert ??? No! No! You're far more exotic!..... however since the departure of 'lawn man' I've been allowed to 'go wild'  ;D  Wow!

Now, back to the subject of plants!!  ;D  ;)  ;D

Anna, the temperature in my conservatory reaches well above 100F in summer, so a haven for the little blighters associated with a hot, dry atmosphere i.e. aphids, white fly, red spider mite and mealy bug ......to name but a few!!   :(  So be vigilant!

The following are climbers I've had experience of :-
Bougainvillea was a beauty, but ALL the above beasties devoured it!!
Jasmine,very fragrant but leaves shrivel unless shaded, as do Ivies.
Mandeville, beauty, but needs humidity, didn't survive winter!
Passion Flower, easy from seed, vigorous, lots of choice, and fantastic flowers! Get mine from Chiltern Seeds, excellent choice, can recommend 'coccinea' and caerula 'Constance Elliot'.

All are beauties, and best of luck with the beasties!!  ::)

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 17:39:31 »
Oh yeah, I had the worst attack of spider mite last year, drove me mad!  If you looked very very closely at the leaves on my narnar plants you could just see the little s*ds trotting around.  The plants all suffered, and lost a couple.  :'(.  Glad to say, upped the humidity and gave all the plants a wash, and unfortunately a chemical treatment to the poorliest, and the beasties all jumped off this mortal coil.  I fancy a Jasmin for the scent and I can always grow it in the shady side of my conservatory.  ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 17:44:35 »
  Apologies for this being late but it's taken a week for me to get onto the new board.
  If you suffer from hayfever then what you need to be considering for your conservatory are flowering plants. The pollen from these plants do not get released in to the air in great quantities. Instead they rely upon vectors such as bees, flies, Lepidoptera and even bats. The pollen from non-flowering plants are released in vast quantities as the pollination of these plants, relying upon the wind or gravity, is so hit and miss. This group of plants include grasses and trees but also extends to annuals and perennials that do not have significant flowers.
  With this in mind a few suggestions:
  Gelsium sempervirens, Carolina jasmine. Yellow flowers in early spring with a gorgeous fragrance.(EJ might like to note that down with her recent reference to lack of scent in her greenhouse)
  Lapergeria rosea, national flower of Chile (no bride in Chile marries without a bouquet of these, according to a Chilean friend of mine). Slightly fragrant, three colours available I believe.
  Ipomea quamoclit, annual with red flowers and unusual foliage
   Clitoria ternata, perennial best treated as an annual. Pea family with mid-deep blue flowers reminiscent of a large sweet pea.
  Solandra maxima Large yellow flowers. There is a variegated form available too.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 22:09:42 »
Gotta say, I have noted all of the suggestions, now I have to get seeds and work out how I am going to support all of these climbers.  :o  Thanks all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal